Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I picked up an R3 roughly two weeks ago to use as a commuter to get to and from work. My drive is 35 miles one way so I figured this would help save some miles on my vehicles. Two weeks in and already 1,200 miles on the clock already. Thank you to Costco for helping me avoid the hefty dealer fees here in Denver!

Here's a pic of when I picked her up from the dealership.

A nice little picture of my first ride into work in Denver.

The first thing I picked up was the fender eliminator kit from Vagabond. Such a great product and happy to get it from Amazon.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Are you in Denver, UK? Why is your license plate so huuuuuge!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I made a cell phone holder utilizing some different RAM mounts and a slip grip phone holder. I got the idea from a thread here on the forum. Thank you :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys!

I just installed the Yoshimura full system a few days ago. I'll give an update on it once I put a few more miles on it :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
So, how would you rate the bike after almost a month in? Are you happy with your purchase? Is it working out as a commuter bike?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, how would you rate the bike after almost a month in? Are you happy with your purchase? Is it working out as a commuter bike?
For what this bike costs I am more than happy! I used to race motocross, ride ATV's and I had a Yamaha V-Star a few years ago. I could have afforded a bigger bike, but I just didn't see the need. The R3 has just enough power and handling to keep the commutes fun and I've been hitting the mountains with a bunch of friends on Harley's and Goldwings. Not one time has this bike lacked in power. I don't see myself looking to "upgrade". The other two bikes I was looking at before my purchase was the FZ 07 and KTM Duke 390. I think I made the right choice.

About a month of ownership and I'm at 2,500 miles already. I would say I'm having fun :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Very nice man, congrats! Born and bred New Yorker, but lived in Colorado Springs for 4 years. Was in the Army for 8 years and half of it, luckily, in Colorado. Love Colorado especially Denver and Boulder. The Springs is underrated but I know a lot of Boulder and Denver folk don't think much of it . Riding around 7 Falls and on 115 are particularly nice. I love riding out on 70 through the mountains. One of the best rides in the world.

Nice job on the fender eliminator. The stock one is so hideous. How is the bike in the thin air. I had my FZR back then in Colorado and I forgot all the tuning that was done but K&N air filters definitely helped. One investment you might want to do is get a Power Commander to optimize your ratio at altitude. You should notice a huge difference in performance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately, I am stuck in the flat portions of CO, but the mountains are only a quick 45-60 mins away. I rode out to Blackhawk and Evergreen today. I love The Springs and the ppl of Boulder are in their own little world.

The R3 does great in the elevation. You can tell a slight powerloss, but I'm still not complaining on the amount of power. A PCV with a custom tune from Spears Racing and a block off plate are actually getting delivered tmr. This bike needs a lot of fueling with that full system. I'll write up a review once everything is up and running.

Too bad you are not still in CS.... The housing market is ridiculous out here now and you would have made BANK

1 - 20 of 33 Posts