Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im new to riding and got my first bike on Monday which happens to be an r3. I rode it around for about 15 miles then hopped onto the fwy because I didn't want a 20min ride home to be a 45 min ride. I went 65 and kept progressing to go faster (first time ever riding on the streets and fwy) which I kept it steady around 75-80. Could this have messed up the bikes break in period? I was too excited and didn't think about the break in period. Im a lost child moving into the bikers world. Any suggestions on what I should do now? Soon ill be commuting to school which requires more fwy riding. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Hey im new to riding and got my first bike on Monday which happens to be an r3. I rode it around for about 15 miles then hopped onto the fwy because I didn't want a 20min ride home to be a 45 min ride. I went 65 and kept progressing to go faster (first time ever riding on the streets and fwy) which I kept it steady around 75-80. Could this have messed up the bikes break in period? I was too excited and didn't think about the break in period. Im a lost child moving into the bikers world. Any suggestions on what I should do now? Soon ill be commuting to school which requires more fwy riding. Thanks in advance.
Break-in opinions are aplenty around here and many have just ridden hard from day one with satisfactory results and no loss of reliability. Personally, I followed the manual's recommendations.

You're fine... just relax. Try your best to keep it below 7-8krpms and fluctuate your speed where you can, if you plan on following the manual for the proper break-in of the motor.

On a side note, I have a 50 mile commute to work which is around 45 minutes on the freeway.
I purposely take back roads and enjoy the ride and embrace the fact that it makes my ride home 90 minutes.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bikes fine. First time ever riding and hit the freeway...way more balls than I had. I was scared at 45 mph.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I rode it around for about 15 miles then hopped onto the fwy because I didn't want a 20min ride home to be a 45 min ride.
:eek:

You got a NEW BIKE, and you wanted to hurry home ?!?!?

I would have taken the longest route possible, and showed up at home 2 hours later!
:D

I bought my R3 in another STATE! I rode it home on the freeway.
It took me over 3 hours to make it home! That's what I call a good break-in ride!

·
Registered
12 Posts

I would have taken the longest route possible, and showed up at home 2 hours later!

It took me over 3 hours to make it home! That's what I call a good break-in ride!
You, Sir, have enlightened my evening with this train of thought. I like the way you think! Time to go serf Craigslist several states away.... >:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Haha! It was night time and i only had a shirt on and man you wouldn't believe how cold i was! But now that i see people saying this i'm considering riding as long as I can! Rode around for 2 hours today just because :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I can't even ride right now. Where I am... it's too hot outside. Even at night. Which SUCKS.
Is it OCTOBER yet ?!?!?
:crying:

·
Registered
140 Posts
As long as you dont push it too close to redline then youll be fine. However, you absolutely want to get some good use into all the of the gears.

What I did was upshifting and downshifting through all the gears every few minutes even while cruising. Also helps you get used to the gearing ratios of the gearbox and how to rev match if youre a blipper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts