Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have braided brake lines, sintered pads and a Brembo master cylinder. At the end of the day, I basically ended up spending thousands to get a minor increase in feel and bite.

Unless you plan on doing the work yourself, just put some sintered pads in and wait until the brake lines need replacing (which is after 5 years IIRC) before you consider going down that route. It is a major job changing the brake lines on the ABS version, as you have to take off the tank, most of the body work, and possibly the air box to get access to the ABS system.

If the brake hoses need replacing, then it absolutely makes sense to use braided hoses so that you only have to do the job once.

By all accounts, the ABS system on the R3 robs a lot of feel and feedback from the front brake. Which is a shame. By comparison, my ABS Street Triple has fantastic brakes and braking feedback. so it's not all ABS systems that cause this issue.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
Some people on this forum may not speak english as a first language.... We all know what he was asking, and there's really no need to be a dick. We are all here to help each other out.... That being said, I own a non-ABS R3 that is fitted with braided brake lines (front & rear). I'm still running OEM pads/master cylinder(s). My R3 is a dedicated track-only bike. I have NEVER run out of brakes/stopping power, and love the improved feed back.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have them on my 2019 and I think it's an improvement in feel. I also upgraded the pads. I like my brakes now. Beware as bleeding brakes in an ABS system is a bit more complicated and takes more time because it's a long run from the front master cylinder to the ABS pump and then back to the front brake caliper. Anyway, steel braided lines look trick and according to Spiegler shave a couple of pounds.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have them on my 2019 and I think it's an improvement in feel. I also upgraded the pads. I like my brakes now. Beware as bleeding brakes in an ABS system is a bit more complicated and takes more time because it's a long run from the front master cylinder to the ABS pump and then back to the front brake caliper. Anyway, steel braided lines look trick and according to Spiegler shave a couple of pounds.
If you have access to an air compressor bleeding brakes is relatively easy and quick.

·
Registered
2020 R3 ABS
32 Posts
I'm getting ready to install braided lines on my ABS model while I have to rest of the bike open for some other stuff. Is there anything different you need to do bleeding the ABS model, or does it truly just take longer because of the additional empty lines you're adding over a non-ABS line replacement? Do you need to activate the ABS module to be able to bleed (or fully bleed)?

Sorry for bumping an older thread but I got here via searching and figured it's worth adding to topic...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have braided brake lines, sintered pads and a Brembo master cylinder. At the end of the day, I basically ended up spending thousands to get a minor increase in feel and bite.

Unless you plan on doing the work yourself, just put some sintered pads in and wait until the brake lines need replacing (which is after 5 years IIRC) before you consider going down that route. It is a major job changing the brake lines on the ABS version, as you have to take off the tank, most of the body work, and possibly the air box to get access to the ABS system.

If the brake hoses need replacing, then it absolutely makes sense to use braided hoses so that you only have to do the job once.

By all accounts, the ABS system on the R3 robs a lot of feel and feedback from the front brake. Which is a shame. By comparison, my ABS Street Triple has fantastic brakes and braking feedback. so it's not all ABS systems that cause this issue.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Hi Paulie,

What is your current brakes set up now? Do you still use ABS?

And how do you rate it?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts