Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha R3
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone!

I'm Natalie, and I live in College Station, TX -- a small college town about an hour away from Houston. I'm a relatively new rider -- I took the MSF class back in December 2019, and purchased my Honda Grom at the beginning of 2020. Albeit a slower bike, I learned so much about the ins and outs of riding from it. I've been itching for an R3 for several months now, and the perfect opportunity presented itself yesterday, and I got to take her home! :)

If you have any first time R3 owner tips, or which mods I should do first, please drop a comment! I'd love to hear your advice and opinions!

Thanks for having me, and I'm excited to be a part of the group.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 R3, 2022 Trident 660
72 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
It looks like your R3 already has some aftermarket parts installed.
I have installed axle sliders, frame sliders, rear fender eliminatior, integrated tail light, flush turn signals, and adjustable clutch/brake levers so far.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha R3
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum!
It looks like your R3 already has some aftermarket parts installed.
I have installed axle sliders, frame sliders, rear fender eliminatior, integrated tail light, flush turn signals, and adjustable clutch/brake levers so far.
Thank you!
Which frame sliders did you go with? I heard that it’s a good idea to have some. I’ve seen that there’s so many different places to get ‘em.
And yeah, it has some sort of eBay full exhaust, shorty levers, and a rear fender eliminator.

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Congrats on the new bike. Enjoy and ride safe. That "small town" of College Station, TX has a pretty impressive side attraction with the 'not so small' Texas A&M University. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha R3
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the Forum. Congrats on the new bike. Enjoy and ride safe. That "small town" of College Station, TX has a pretty impressive side attraction with the 'not so small' Texas A&M University. ;)
Thank you! And you’d be totally right. I graduated last summer but am crazy enough to go back for grad school haha.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Welcome. Nice bike. My new rider advice; Ride often, ride defensively, stay humble and vigilant, dont trust anything with more then 3 wheels, and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thank you! And you’d be totally right. I graduated last summer but am crazy enough to go back for grad school haha.
I just graduated in the Spring of 2019. Welcome to the wider world haha. It looks like you got to keep the Grom? For me, the Grom has always been one of those bikes that you always want but never actually buy because it's not your first choice (same deal with the Suzuki DR650, if anyone's asking, LOL). If I already had several other bikes (and I would if I had money!), I'd definitely get a Grom. It would probably make the top ten (gotta have at least one bike for every purpose/type of riding).

Anyway, oh uh, yea...the R3 is nice, too. LOL. So great choice there as well!

As for mods, personally, I wouldn't do any mods unless you find something specific about the bike that you don't like or wish were different. For example, I do a lot of long-distance, fast-lane highway cruising on SoCal freeways, and for that type of riding, stock gearing isn't great (it will do it, but it's not optimal), so I changed my gearing to suit and have been very pleased with the result; this bike really shreds miles like a big-boy bike now! Other than swing arm spools, that's my only mod to the R3 -- and for me, it will probably stay that way.

My dirt bikes generally get all kinds of goodies and get the living crap beat out of them, but I like my street bikes clean, shiny, pretty, and unmolested LOL ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
R6 throttle tube is first mod I'd recommend because the twisting action of the stock tube is too wide and uncomfortable for the wrist to handle. R6 throttle tube with shorter twisting action till full throttle is the way to go.

·
Registered
88 Posts
congrats on getting yur R3! Had mine since they first came out in 2015 and loving it!

enjoy and drive safe

Reactions: Maxpressure520

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha R3
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
R6 throttle tube is first mod I'd recommend because the twisting action of the stock tube is too wide and uncomfortable for the wrist to handle. R6 throttle tube with shorter twisting action till full throttle is the way to go.
Do you have a link to this throttle tube, or where I might find one?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts