Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fresh out the MSF course and only been riding for those two days the course took. Signed the paperwork for my new bike and awaiting delivery . With that said , I heard someone recommend that frame sliders be put on your bike especially for new riders that may help alleviate damage at low speed intervals if the bike ever falls over. I don't plan on falling but gotta plan for the worst . Has anyone put frame sliders on this specific bike , and if so what type and where did you buy them?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I will tell you frame sliders are generally designed to protect the bike when it falls at speed (in my own opinion, at speed is 30+mph). It really does nothing or maybe is useless or does not work properly if you do a kickstand drop or are going 5mph and drop it. I have purchased various 100 dollar sliders that have come with a warning to use them only on the tracks as they will just shatter if dropped at low speeds. I've never tested this though so can't say if that is the case on all sliders. But if it is delrin, that may or may not be the case of all delrin sliders.

As far as price goes, I have a rule. If it is something that your life depends on, do not skimp on price. Sliders do not fall under this rule because sliders aren't there to protect you. So I can't say anything for the quality of 18 dollar sliders, but since it isn't there to protect your life, have at it. I've only ever purchased 50-150 dollar sliders so I can't comment on the difference between those and 18 dollar sliders, further more I've never personally dropped my motorcycles so I cannot even comment on expensive sliders either. But truthfully if you asked me what my honest opinion is about 18 dollar sliders, I would just flat out say no, buy at least a 40-50 dollar pair of sliders.

I will tell you that my wife has dropped her R3 at very low speeds and the fairings were never touched, so the sliders would've been absolutely useless since all the damage happened on the handlebars (which would still hit the ground regardless of sliders or not) and the foot pegs which I'm guessing once again the sliders would do nothing. Also her original exhaust took the brunt of the damage (just scratches) when she dropped it on the ride-side which once again sliders would probably do nothing.

Now, I surf various forums and the people who did drop their bikes at high speeds (40+mph) with sliders on receive a substantial amount of damage on the bikes that leads me to believe ultimately sliders are more placebo than anything, but I suppose there is a small window or sweetspot of actual protection in which the sliders will do its job. What that window is, I can't say, but if I were to make a guess, it would be a casual 15-25 mph lowside.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Chances are you will drop the bike. Frame sliders prevent damage to the bike but not all damage.

Better yet, get some protective gear so you don't get damaged, a ff helmet, gloves, jacket with CE protection, riding pants, and riding boots. You are harder to replace than your bike. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Frame sliders are generally for track use, as most accidents where your on the street at the speed for them to work, you will be finding gutters, trees, poles, cars etc. that will be causing more damage if you go down. Sliding the bike into the kitty litter is one thing compared to a parked car, if you get what I mean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts