Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ya'LL!!!

I'm Brand new to motorcycle world, after abit of researching picked the red/white yamaha R3 as my starter bike,

11707561_10153423226601678_4554636218034199098_n.jpg

any advise/Tip would be greatly appreciated!!! my main concern with the bike
is the maintenance schedules, i did get a 3 year warranty and 1 year maintenance deal with my dealership...

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

It's always good to have a new member of the motorcycling community.

Rubber side down!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

put in about 20 Miles testing the bike and practice my riding skills, now i see why my friends been heckling me to get into riding so much fun

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome…WildPanda. This forum is outstanding; knowledgeable and supportive. Have a great BRC!!!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Thanks!

put in about 20 Miles testing the bike and practice my riding skills, now i see why my friends been heckling me to get into riding so much fun
It quickly can go from affliction to obsession if you aren't careful. Take the courses, get some one on one track-day instruction if you can - welcome to the loony bin. Road America - nice.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Start slow and try to behave like you'd drive your car the first couple houndred miles. Try to learn to ride the bike with its breaking and its power. After an x couple of miles you will feel more confident but don't try to take things to the limit. After the first maintenance(600miles) the bike will behave a little different and so can you because you don't have to break it in anymore. Shiny side up, rubber side down ;) Welcome to the forum mate.

·
Registered
66 Posts
1. ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) no exceptions, no excuses. Even at a low speed drop you will lost your skin. Jackets come in all flavors nowadays (textile, kevlar, mesh, leather etc). And if you live in a warm area, get one that's vented and/or you can remove the inside liner. Also, gloves for you hands, gives you good grip and protection cuz when a rock hits your knuckles at high speed it hurts like a mofo! Good riding pants and boots for the bottom half of you cuz if/when you go down those parts of you will be the first to make contact to the ground

2. LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO! I can't stress that enough. If you're looking at a guardrail while turning you're most likely gonna go into it. Target fixation is a way to crash real fast.

3. BRC will teach you all the basic skills you will need to ride your bike. Always keep practicing those skills. Anyone can ride a straight line fast, but it takes skill to do slow speed maneuvers. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I get so scared hearing of all these newbies and seeing how many people are crashing their R3's. It's just scary. Guys be careful out there. You really CAN hurt yourself on these bikes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I get so scared hearing of all these newbies and seeing how many people are crashing their R3's. It's just scary. Guys be careful out there. You really CAN hurt yourself on these bikes.

I use to say I would not get a bike because I was too immature for one. 3 kids later I think I can be adult enough to not be stupid on a bike. I think being honest with yourself is a big factor when making decisions like owning a motorcycle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It quickly can go from affliction to obsession if you aren't careful. Take the courses, get some one on one track-day instruction if you can - welcome to the loony bin. Road America - nice.
ahah ya i work like 30 minutes from it, during summer i sit at my office and stair at all the v8s, v10s, v12s screaming there way to road america lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Start slow and try to behave like you'd drive your car the first couple houndred miles. Try to learn to ride the bike with its breaking and its power. After an x couple of miles you will feel more confident but don't try to take things to the limit. After the first maintenance(600miles) the bike will behave a little different and so can you because you don't have to break it in anymore. Shiny side up, rubber side down ;) Welcome to the forum mate.
right on, nothing beats being a safe rider

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1. ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) no exceptions, no excuses. Even at a low speed drop you will lost your skin. Jackets come in all flavors nowadays (textile, kevlar, mesh, leather etc). And if you live in a warm area, get one that's vented and/or you can remove the inside liner. Also, gloves for you hands, gives you good grip and protection cuz when a rock hits your knuckles at high speed it hurts like a mofo! Good riding pants and boots for the bottom half of you cuz if/when you go down those parts of you will be the first to make contact to the ground

2. LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO! I can't stress that enough. If you're looking at a guardrail while turning you're most likely gonna go into it. Target fixation is a way to crash real fast.

3. BRC will teach you all the basic skills you will need to ride your bike. Always keep practicing those skills. Anyone can ride a straight line fast, but it takes skill to do slow speed maneuvers. Good luck and have fun!
its nice i live outside of city, i got nice country roads with very little traffic to practice, and my BRC class will be a great help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya i seen a few post on here about rider who wrecked their bikes...
i ride with full gear nothing less

1 - 16 of 16 Posts