Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
So my 1000 km is almost up and it's time for my first service, I am curious what other R3 lovers have done or recommend. I would like to do the work myself but I am not sure if that will affect my warranty and don't know exactly what needs to be done for a first service. I don't mind going to a dealership but don't want to pay for anything that doesn't need to be done if it's a basic job i could do. Any info, advice or price quotes from dealers would be greatly appreciated. Cheers All!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Maybe call your dealer and ask the service manager. Usually they say to keep receipts for the oil and filter and write the info in the back of the manual for mileage and date. Normally they change the oil and filter, adjust the chain if needed, and do a test ride. They usually check over the fasteners for anything loose and check the front end for steering head problems...you can see how that's done on YouTube. Most generally, they just take the handlebars and shake them a little from side to side to make sure there is nothing moving other than the front tire. It's a good time to learn how to do all those things. The filter will be on tight and strap wrenches seem to work best to get that off. I would start there just in case you can't get that off. Other than burning yourself, stripping the threads on the oil bolt or filter, putting too much or too little oil in, or having the bike fall on you, there isn't too much that can go wrong. YouTube has a bunch of videos of how to do all that on other models. I say go for it. You'll need a metric socket set..or 12 mm wrench for the oil bolt, something to catch the old oil, something to put the old oil in to recycle it, new oil, new filter and ideally a new crush washer, although I've reused mine twice now, along with the strap wrench and maybe a funnel to help pour the oil into the crankcase and old oil into something. A torque wrench is optional for the oil bolt but nice to have.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Lof'nl, you make it sound "dangerous".
But seriously, what's up with the oil fill hole ? I had my bro lean the bike way over to the left while I filled it...
One gripe I have with Yamaha!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i decide to take it to the dealership for the first go. From now on ill do my own filters and oil they are cheap and easy to do. The dealer wasnt that expensive and i just decide to get it done so i could be on the road faster. Next project is LED indicators and paint or poli-dip. Thanks for your tips much appreciated!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Every new bike I've had I let the dealer do the first service just for warranty purposes. The dealers down here give you a hard time if you do the first service yourself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts