Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
I'm inexperienced rider, about to purchase my first bike - r3.
I'm 205lbs, can you go on highways during breakdown? Can u go 65mph or should I stick to 35mph-40mph until breakdown is done?
Thank you.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You mean break -in ?? Read your owners Manuel. Use search feature here. Lotts of info and oppinons on this subject.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Hi guys.
I'm inexperienced rider, about to purchase my first bike - r3.
I'm 205lbs, can you go on highways during breakdown? Can u go 65mph or should I stick to 35mph-40mph until breakdown is done?
Thank you.
Keeping the bike at or below the 7k mark limits you to around 65mph in 6th gear. It doesn't take long to get through the break-in period however, and then freeway travel is a breeze.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By what I read in this forum there's 600 miles break in period. It will take me about 2-3 months.;)
But If I can go freeway than it will be much quicker .
Can't wait to get my cmsp letter and go get the r3

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
By what I read in this forum there's 600 miles break in period.
If you go by the manual's suggestions, the break-in process is to avoid prolonged operation above 7,000 rpms for the first 600 miles an to then avoid prolonged operation above 8400 until you get up to 1000 miles.

Now, your definition of "prolonged" may differ from another's but in short, just don't beat the living snot out of it until you hit 1k on the odometer.

·
Registered
290 Posts
In my opinion you should not do break in on the highway only because you are a new rider who has no experience. The highway is the last place you want to be if you've never ridden a motorcycle, mainly for instincts. Yes going in a straight line is super easy, but reacting to crazy motorists who can't see you will be the hard part.

Reactions: Decon blue

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the reply guys. In the same topic. What RPM do you guys cruise on during breakin? I shift when I get to 5500 rpm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts