Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So I got these Brembo RCS 19 Radial Master Cylinder Replicas from China. I was wondering how would I make provisions for the brake light switch in there. doesnt look like it was made for street use. Needed some technical advices on making the stock harness fitment possible on those. would be great help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You had me Chinese replica :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Brembo makes a light switch for their Mc's. I am not sure about using a 19 though. A bit too big for the single rotor on the R3. You are going to have rock hard feel on that thing. The 15 already feels rally hard.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Brembo makes a light switch for their Mc's. I am not sure about using a 19 though. A bit too big for the single rotor on the R3. You are going to have rock hard feel on that thing. The 15 already feels rally hard.
This is not a BREMBO...this is a chinese knock off :mad:, maybe it works as a RCS13 or maybe as a RCS21

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
And by the looks of it wasn't made to have a light switch on it.

There are chinese parts I will buy to save money...like things that don't move...but a master cylinder would certainly not be on that list. Levers, foot pegs, random brackets and things like that, sure. I almost fell for it once when I saw a great deal on an Akrapovic exhaust. Like i'm talking about 30% of that they typically go for. But I figured it was too good to be true, and sure enough it was a chinese knockoff.

Reactions: cwick2000

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
And by the looks of it wasn't made to have a light switch on it.

There are chinese parts I will buy to save money...like things that don't move...but a master cylinder would certainly not be on that list. Levers, foot pegs, random brackets and things like that, sure. I almost fell for it once when I saw a great deal on an Akrapovic exhaust. Like i'm talking about 30% of that they typically go for. But I figured it was too good to be true, and sure enough it was a chinese knockoff.

There was a thread about this in a local SoCal forum but here is he video in that thread. Don't buy Chinese levers!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
There was a thread about this in a local SoCal forum but here is he video in that thread. Don't buy Chinese levers!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVGsyRztMG8
I have seen that video before, but I'm gonna say that was a freak incident. First off, that's the clip-on that broke, not the brake/clutch lever, and those are Honda OEM clip-ons. That's the surprising thing, because OEM clip-ons are usually very heavy and durable. If anything I'd expect an aftermarket one to break before an OEM does...so I'm going with freak accident on that one.

FWIW I've been rocking Chinese clutch/brake levers on my CBR500 since early last year with no issues at all. Got them for like $25-30 or so.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I have seen that video before, but I'm gonna say that was a freak incident. First off, that's the clip-on that broke, not the brake/clutch lever, and those are Honda OEM clip-ons. That's the surprising thing, because OEM clip-ons are usually very heavy and durable. If anything I'd expect an aftermarket one to break before an OEM does...so I'm going with freak accident on that one.

FWIW I've been rocking Chinese clutch/brake levers on my CBR500 since early last year with no issues at all. Got them for like $25-30 or so.
Are you sure they are oem? I believe that guy posted that they were knock offs in the socalsportbikes.org forum. Also, you would be surprised what happens to non moving items that undergo constant vibes. My brake reservoir, from China, broke for no apparent reason while I was in the canyons. Turns out, the vibes over hundreds of miles broke the cheap bracket that came with it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Are you sure they are oem? I believe that guy posted that they were knock offs in the socalsportbikes.org forum. Also, you would be surprised what happens to non moving items that undergo constant vibes. My brake reservoir, from China, broke for no apparent reason while I was in the canyons. Turns out, the vibes over hundreds of miles broke the cheap bracket that came with it.
Yep, they're the OEM's. Unless he found Chinese ones that are a perfect replica of the ugly OEM ones. I had a CBR600 too and they looked the same as those in the video.

And yeah things can fatigue and break for sure...but clip-ons?? Don't see that very often. It looked like it broke at the attachment point which is not surprising, so it's possible he tightened the clamp on the bar way too much, which increased the stress on it in that spot, and it's also possible that he was putting a lot of weight on the bars during braking and acceleration and after so many stress cycles like that it gave up. But that's honestly the ONLY case I've ever seen or heard of someone breaking a clip-on without crashing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would say mount it to the harness in a trash can. There's only one front brake...why would you take such a big gamble on your life? It's your funeral.....
I have had been on forums and stuff and the people who have used this on the R3 in Phillipines and Thailand seemed to have given me the green light on using this. Hence I went ahead with the purchase. This one was made for 2 piston floating calipers specifically so I am not worried about the brake feel being wierd. I was only concerned about the brake switch in general. Mechanically this seems to be having better reviews than the stock MC by the ones using it.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I have had been on forums and stuff and the people who have used this on the R3 in Phillipines and Thailand seemed to have given me the green light on using this. Hence I went ahead with the purchase. This one was made for 2 piston floating calipers specifically so I am not worried about the brake feel being wierd. I was only concerned about the brake switch in general. Mechanically this seems to be having better reviews than the stock MC by the ones using it.
You do what you want, but I think there is a reason people pay the higher dollar for certain parts. I certainly would not want to gamble that on such an important control on the bike.

All that aside, it's an "RCS19" knock off but only pushes enough fluid for 2 Pistons? They could have at least named it rcs13 or something to that effect. Hehe. The 19's are designed to push fluid for a dual caliper/ 4 opposed Pistons, so 8 pots total.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I'm sure it will work a lot better than the stock one....until it doesn't, and fails in spectacular fashion...when you're hard on the brakes because a car stopped suddenly in front of you.

Reactions: Kojiiro

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm sure it will work a lot better than the stock one....until it doesn't, and fails in spectacular fashion...when you're hard on the brakes because a car stopped suddenly in front of you.
Exactly, it's OK to buy knockoff cosmetic mods, but brakes, clipons, levers are what keeps you alive and on two wheels. Component manufacturers in the US, Europe, Australia all have liability lawsuits, regulatory fines and/or criminal negligence consequences. Hence, they spend millions on best manufacturing practices, product testing. So yeah, Brembo brakes are expensive, CRG levers, Galfer brake lines, vortex clipons, Sato rearsets...etc.

Save some $$ now on theses mods, pay later in the ICU.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My CBR500 came with a chinese knockoff Scott steering damper. On my ZX6R I have the same unit, but the real Scott damper. There is definitely a noticeable difference between the two. They look the same but the adjustment knobs feel different when you turn them and on the real one there is a progressive difference between each click from least to most damping, whereas the knockoff one I have no idea what's going on in there. It looks like there's a small window of adjustment where it feels just right and aside from that everything feels too stiff, whether I turn it left or right. Makes no sense at all....but what do you expect for a $100 steering damper.

Works fine though so long as I don't mess with it lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts