Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
S22's are a great choice for the bike if you enjoy attacking the twisties. They warm up quick and the profile makes it easy and controllable when leaning over. They are on the pricey side though, and I would not use them for munching highway miles.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S22's are a great choice for the bike if you enjoy attacking the twisties. They warm up quick and the profile makes it easy and controllable when leaning over. They are on the pricey side though, and I would not use them for munching highway miles.
Thanks Muhammad. I got them put on this morning, but I can't comment on them yet as I have to scuff them in first - the front wheel definitely feels a lot different when turning though.

I'm interested to know what it would cost for riders in the US or other countries to get tyres fitted? In NZ it seems very expensive to me, but I guess it's the whole supply and demand thing (car to bike ratio).

If I were to get 4 tyres fitted to my car, the fitting and balancing is usually free. But it cost be $50 NZ a tyre ($30 if they're off the bike) for my bike.

So all up it cost me:
$196 NZD Front
$208 NZD Rear
$100 NZD Fitting and balancing
$8 NZD Tyre disposal

Total: $512 NZD

That's more than it costs for 4 tyres fitted to my car.. :oops:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling in NZ!

That does sound slightly on the high side though. I paid less than that for a pair of Road 5s, from Cycletreads, fitted to my Street Triple. (The tyre price quoted above seems about right, it's the fitting fee that looks a bit extreme.)

Where abouts in New Zealand are you located?

I'd love to see a review of the tyres on an R3 in NZ conditions. My R3 is mainly used as a commuter, so I'll probably put Road 5s on it too when the time comes, but I definitely could be persuaded otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Anyone know where to buy the S22 in the North America? Can only find the S20s in stock sizes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a set installed at Red Baron in Wellington for about that much. They are worth every penny - go for it! Difference between them and the Dunlop’s that ship with the 2019 is huge. Very happy with the S22’s. They are great in the rain, which is important here in NZ :)

if you’re mainly riding on the road (not many track days) the Michelin Road 5 sound pretty awesome and will last longer, so would be a better value.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a set installed at Red Baron in Wellington for about that much. They are worth every penny - go for it! Difference between them and the Dunlop’s that ship with the 2019 is huge. Very happy with the S22’s. They are great in the rain, which is important here in NZ :)

if you’re mainly riding on the road (not many track days) the Michelin Road 5 sound pretty awesome and will last longer, so would be a better value.
That's where I got mine installed. I think I've seen your bike around as well, as I remember that yellow reflector in your dp.
The Road 5 info is good to know - I won't be going to any track days but do a lot of twisty rides which they will be good for!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling in NZ!

That does sound slightly on the high side though. I paid less than that for a pair of Road 5s, from Cycletreads, fitted to my Street Triple. (The tyre price quoted above seems about right, it's the fitting fee that looks a bit extreme.)

Where abouts in New Zealand are you located?

I'd love to see a review of the tyres on an R3 in NZ conditions. My R3 is mainly used as a commuter, so I'll probably put Road 5s on it too when the time comes, but I definitely could be persuaded otherwise.
Located in Wellington. I'll post an update on how the tyres perform after a few weeks of use :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the S20's and they are excellent. Maybe try youtube for a review?

What tyre pressures do you guys run with aftermarket tyres? I can't find much info on this. I went to pump them up and the front was at 33psi so I put it back down to 29psi. The rear was sitting at 36psi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts