Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum and I just got my 2015 R3 for a sweet deal from craiglist.. However, being the idiot that I am when installing my new lever I guess I must of messed up my button behind the clutch lever. It's dangling down and doesn't make a connection when I use the clutch. Is it still ride able with this issue? I'm so frustrated at myself lmao but do I need to replace the whole perch or is there a way to replace just this one component. I own a 07 R1 and installed levers on that but haven't ran into something like this. Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated!!! :crying:

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
You can replace just the switch. The P/N is: 5BP-H2917-00-00

Also, you can still ride the bike. The switch is there to keep you from starting the bike while in gear without having the clutch pulled in. Until you replace the switch you'll only be able to start the bike in neutral.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ruby! It's great to know that's all it is.. I was so heated when I installed my levers because my lever install wasn't going that smooth either but it's a relief it's a easy fix and thank you for linking the part number as well!!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You can still ride it. I took mine off to be able to use the lever that I wanted. You just can't start the bike in gear with the clutch lever pulled in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome! Yeah for some odd reason when I transfered that gold tube from the stock lever to the after market lever it was such a pain to fit it into the perch... and also the gold tube just kept sliding right out of place. I had to hold it and jam it in with alot of force.. which raised flags for me..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Awesome! Yeah for some odd reason when I transfered that gold tube from the stock lever to the after market lever it was such a pain to fit it into the perch... and also the gold tube just kept sliding right out of place. I had to hold it and jam it in with alot of force.. which raised flags for me..
You're supposed to push the button back in as you guide the lever back onto the perch.. without pushing it in, you're going to run into a very tough time right before you snap the button off. There's a video from TST Industries on YouTube showing the install of some levers, and he iterates the importance of pushing the button in before you try to fit the lever in the perch.

I'm guilty of almost snapping my button off too, it's a very long square shaped plastic piece that sticks out quite a bit when depressed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah learned that lesson! Ordered a new switch for 16$ shipped, not a huge deal but definitely will keep that in mind for future reference...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah learned that lesson! Ordered a new switch for 16$ shipped, not a huge deal but definitely will keep that in mind for future reference...
lol so you know how I thought I almost damaged mine..

well i've never tried starting the bike while in gear, i've always started in neutral.. so i decided to try starting in first with the clutch pulled in.. yea i damaged mine too

Edit: nevermind, my kickstand was down, my clutch button is still working!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an older thread. My reason for responding and resurrecting it is because I recently snapped mine. Yes I was lazy and wasn't careful. Fortunately, I'm also a 3D printer enthusiast so I quickly modeled the piece and printed myself a new one for a couple pennies. If anyone wants a copy of the file, I've uploaded it to Thingiverse: Yamaha R3 Clutch Switch by abewong000

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just changed my levers too, went to start it and couldn't with pulling in clutch lever. Forgot the kickstand was down and felt like an idiot when I was told to check it.

Reactions: SlimJim

·
Super Moderator
1,212 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
#8 looks like half of the piece i was trying to identify. It looks like a cable holder. Any clues where it goes?

·
Registered
309 Posts
#8 looks like half of the piece i was trying to identify. It looks like a cable holder. Any clues where it goes?

That's not it chief! I replied in your original thread, go take a look!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Ok. Lets say i am able to reopen the housing. Where does the clamp go? Is this part only half the clamp?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts