Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headlights are being janky...the left side low beam won't go on, but the high beam works fine. On the right, the low beam works, but the high beam doesn't. Admittedly, I did have a couple tipovers several weeks ago but no incidents since then and I only noticed the problem a few days ago (have driven at night previously w/o issues). And my bike only has 550 miles on it!

Kinda new to bike ownership...is this something that some replacement bulbs should resolve, or do I need to have someone look at it, like a wiring issue?

·
Registered
761 Posts
AesonVirus is correct.

From the pilots seat, the right headlight is low beam. On 100% of the time while engine is running. Left headlight is high beam only.

While riding with low beam only, you will appear to have a burned out headlight. This is by design.

I personally would prefer to have true dual lows/highs, but it does not bother me enough to make any mods to make it happen.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A few days ago I was slowing for a red light. From behind I hear a horn honking and honking. As I made my stop, a lady in an SUV slowly pulled beside me to the right. She stuck her head out the window as she's rolling it down and yells out to me "one of your headlights is out". I kindly thanked her and took off. LOL

·
Registered
761 Posts
thank you. Now I feel silly. Well that's a weird setup, isn't it?
Pretty common anymore. I have read that at night with both headlights burning and so close together, drivers pulling out into traffic perceive you as a car a lot farther away than you really are hence they pull right out in front since you are really close. With a single light burning, drivers assume a motorcycle. There is likely some truth to this as when I see an oncoming car with a headlight burned out, I assume it is a MC until they get close enough to realize it is not.

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I do the same thing at night. I always assume its a motorcycle, then they finally get close enough to tell for sure and its some clapped out car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Bi-xenon projectors are probably the easiest way to go dual hi-low.

Either that or have a dual set of lows and dual set of highs with projector lens inside the headlight assembly, a-la the R1 from I think 04-08, which will be much more expensive complicated and might just be downright impossible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts