Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So around 7k RPM I notice a buzzing noise. Happens in every gear, but its most noticeable in 3rd and 4th. Kind of sounds like a piece of loose plastic, or a pinwheel, or even the sound that kid's make on bicycles when they attach a playing card to their wheels and have the spokes repeatedly clip it, lol. Some sort of almost fan-like noise, but not the actual cooling fan kicks on when the temp is too high.

I'm not really sure how best to describe the noise, but it seems to be coming from the front of the bike, near the headlights, but on the inside by the forks. Maybe something is up with the air filter? I pretty much only hear it from 6.5k-8k RPM, and its most clear right around 7k in 3rd and 4th gears.

I have low-sided the bike, but if memory serves I heard this noise before that happened. I can't be sure, though. The low side resulted in a few scratches, nothing mechanical to my knowledge. I have put about a thousand miles on the bike since with no issues.

Anyways, thoughts on what this could be? Anyone else hear a similar noise? This weekend I plan on replacing my scratched fairing from forever ago so I will take a look inside to see if I can find the culprit. I'll also throw the bike on the stand and see if I can take a video of the noise, but as I said, its most noticeable in 3rd/4th gear so idk if that'll work.

Sorry in advance if this should be in another section, I'm not exactly sure what the issue is so I wasn't sure where to put this thread. Also, I tried searching and came up with zero results for the terms "buzz" "buzzing" and numerous variations of 7k RPM. Sometime the search function is odd.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
It sounds like (no pun) there is some kind of harmonic going on - weird. From the description, not wind-caused. Maybe duct tape or zip tie some of the bits in the area the sound seems to be coming from that could be possible culprits, rinse, repeat until you find it?

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
Motorcycles have vibration by nature, so sometimes you've got to chase down a buzz or plastics tapping each other.

My FZ6R had an intermittent squeak, I "solved" it by wedged a small piece of black foam between the headlight and the fairing, to maintain pressure on the fairing. Something on the inside of the front fairing was touching the inside plastic, and I didn't want to take it all apart. That bike had been dropped by the previous owner, don't know if it was related.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are great suggestions, thanks guys. I will investigate further tomorrow when I take my fairing off and see if I can find anything, or at least see if there is an area I can lock down and then re-evaluate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a buzzing noise that happens at around 6k. I'm pretty sure it's from the front fairing as the clip broke off on one corner after my lowside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey vercify, did you found what was that buzzing sound in front of you on yamaha r3? because it started to happening to me, and its realy annoying, and i dont know what the f*** it is... sry for bad english, its not my native language.. pls, if you know what it is, tell me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm having the same problem. Not a huge deal. Just annoying. The only thing that seems to stop it is putting lots of weight on the plastic tank cover, though the allen bolt near the buzz isn't loose. Anybody have any other clues?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Rattling drives me nuts. Yeah, bikes especially parallel twins vibrate to **** which is why we torque bolts down, and use Loctite. If the rattle is able to rattle over the engine and exhaust noise, then it is pretty substantial. Try to get someone, and as a team aim to hunt down the vibration. Put it on a rear stand, and have someone rev the throttle at varying RPM's and pitches, and the other person will move around and listen around to pinpoint it. A lot of the upper fairring and side panels have tricky ways of snapping into clips at varying angles and motions. A good thing to have is some weather stripping to pop into little cracks and 3M automotive panel tape (like this) is awesome for fastening trouble areas.

Good luck finding it. If you do, you should report it to us because it might turn out to be a problem spot and finding a solution would be copacetic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually, I was doing a bit of this myself last night. When I sit on it, rev to 7k, and bring my knee up against the side of the plastic tank cover (even with a tiny amount of pressure), the buzz completely stops. I'm not sure about your case, but mine seems to undoubtably be this cover. As a temporary fix, I might just wedge a spot of gaffe tape in an inconspicuous spot along the edge. So thankful that (besides the safety recall on the clutch plate bearing/oil pump assembly) this has been the biggest problem I've had with the R3. ONE little buzzing sound.

·
Registered
223 Posts
did you guys find what this is? I also experience this and sadly can't locate where it's coming from. I record clips from my tank and can't get a proper audio recording with all the buzzing sound. :(

·
Registered
269 Posts
my instrument cluster was buzzing against all of the plastic **** around it.

I gripped the top of the cluster and pulled it toward me, freeing it from the plastic stuff around it. My bike stopped buzzing after that.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i thought it was my radiator guard buzzing at around 6-7k RPM. removed it, made some test runs, and compared the videos i took. short story, buzzing is still there and it wasn't the rad guard. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts