Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is definitely a tragic story, but let's not let emotions get in the way of logic and reasoning. Motorcycling in general is dangerous. The risk is something we are all well aware of, and whether you split lanes or not doesn't negate the fact that a car can hit you if you're not careful, and even if you are careful. Splitting lanes doesn't make your situation less safe, especially when you can easily be rear ended because you weren't lane splitting.

There's always a risk with lane splitting but there's always a risk when you don't. The idea is to do it safe as possible and use common sense and good judgment. Don't split at excessive speeds and pay attention to what drivers are doing.

Be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well the new law kind of helps 30 mph is the limit to lane spilt which I think is a good idea I don't wanna spilt anything above that to me that's just dangerous

What a tragic story tho just sucks that they don't teach drivers more on motorcycle awareness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I am "guilty" of this, both in cali and in Japan. I will continue to lane split where it is legal. I would like to hear your logic on why you don't think it should be legal. Ever done it? Lane splitting can put you in a much safer place than if you were not. Lane split can help with traffic, can help you save time, so I don't see why it shouldn't be legal. That said, our hobby/sport is an inherently dangerous one. The second you swing a leg over your bike, you better be willing to accept that you can do everything right and still be at risk of going down. I've lane split on the Coronado bridge doing 75+. Why? Because I knew the traffic was so bad, so tight that there was no chance of a car pulling out and getting in front of me so I would accidentally hit it. When traffic flow is reasonable, there is no reason to lane split. Some people still choose to and I think it's stupid and risky, but again, our sport is a risky one. The consequences are far worse than if we wreck doing similar speeds in a car, van or SUV.

As mentioned above, I think you let your emotions get in the way of really thinking why it shouldn't be legal. Almost everything we do on our bikes has the possibility to kill us. Should we ban all bikes now because it's dangerous? Should we get rid of curves because most bike related accidents are single vehicle and occur in a curve? I think we should just educate and train people more, and promote the use of good, sound judgement and it will help reduce fatalities. There will still be accidents we cannot reasonably avoid. There will be instances when splitting is no safer than just normal riding, but I feel in those situations it is usually when the traffic can flow more freely.

More people are not injured or killed because, when done right, lane splitting forms a barrier that prevents you from being rear ended or side swiped. When done right. When traffic is so tight, cars cannot swerve out of lane and swipe you. That happens ALOT in cali. Go on the Coronado bridge at 645 in the morning or 15-1700 at noon. Go to 32nd street and you will see what I mean. Go to any major interstate in cali in the morning or evening rush hours. I guess if you have never been to places where it's like that day in and day out, and never risen a bike in that situation, or even been in a car in that situation, you wouldn't get it. For us it's just a daily thing. From a car drivers point of view it's like " omg they are so close". In reality, from the bikers point of view, there is so much space it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ban all bikes unless you're wearing an airbag jacket! I agree lane splitting is immensely helpful, i've seen 4 accidents in the last 60days where someone rear-ended someone else. In fact those were the only accidents I saw, I'd rather not take the chance of getting rear ended in today's distracted driving age.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I am from MN which of course it is illegal.. Not trying to being subjective or stereotypical, but I have seen people still lane split here and at high speeds. In fact, I have veen seen people catch people splitting and position the car so that cannot get through.. yes a d1ck move.. but I suppose they are frustrated when bikes fly by scaring the crap out of them. Still not cool of course.

I think 30 and under would be a happy medium. And I have been in situations where lane splitting would have made sense especially where I was sure someone was going to rear end me. I feel the hyper flash LED integrated tail light from TST has saved me a few times.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A study out of UC Berkeley a couple years ago addresses this issue. Here's a link to an article summarizing the findings:

http://news.berkeley.edu/2015/05/29/motorcycle-lanesplitting-report/

In summary, they were unable to say if lane splitting increased the likelihood of crashing, but lane splitting crashes are less serious and less likely to be fatal. I've been lane splitting since the 80s and I'm not about to stop. I'd rather have a car bump me over at relatively low speed than be rear ended in stop and go traffic. As with all things moto, some choose to ride irresponsibly and pay the price.

A couple quotes that you might find interesting:

“It’s important to note that from the data in our study, we are unable to estimate the risk of getting into a collision in the first place,” said Rice. “What we can do is look at motorcycle collisions that have occurred, and determine whether lane-splitting poses a greater risk of injury to riders, and whether the manner in which riders were lane-splitting was predictive of particular injury types.”

"Compared with other motorcyclists involved in a collision, lane-splitting riders were less likely to suffer head injury (9 percent versus 17 percent), torso injury (19 percent versus 29 percent) and fatal injury (1.2 percent versus 3 percent)."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts