Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Cali Legal Full exhaust system??

11K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  B-Factor 
#1 ·
What are full exhaust systems for R3 that's legal in California?
Which one do you think is the best?
I wanted to get yoshimura exhaust system but seems like it's not legal in Calli?
I might be wrong but i thought that's what the guy in this video was saying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkmZPq4jIKE

#2 · (Edited)
From the CARB site:

QUOTE: California regulates motorcycle aftermarket parts that have the potential to impact emissions. In most cases, the sale and use of emissions related aftermarket parts on motorcycles is prohibited unless it is either a “replacement part” as defined by California, or is a specifically authorized use of that part as reflected in an Executive Order (“EO Part”)

The California Air Resources Board (ARB) regulates aftermarket parts and has promulgated regulations that essentially place all emissions related aftermarket parts into three categories:

(First) Replacement Parts

Replacement Parts are aftermarket parts that ARB considers to be functionally equivalent to the stock part they are intended to replace, and therefore would not impact the emissions from these vehicles. These parts are appropriate for sale and use on motorcycles used on or off the public highways. For aftermarket exhaust systems and parts, there are two applicable scenarios:

(a)If the motorcycle’s stock exhaust system does not contain a catalytic converter, then an aftermarket exhaust part is a replacement part as long as the part does not remove or replace any emission control equipment originally attached to the stock exhaust system, such as the oxygen sensors.

(b)If the motorcycle’s stock exhaust system contains a catalytic converter in the manifold section of the stock exhaust system, then an aftermarket muffler positioned downstream from the catalytic converter (i.e. cat-back) is a replacement part as long as the part does not remove or replace any emission control equipment originally attached to the stock exhaust system.

(Second) Executive Order Parts

Executive Order Parts are aftermarket parts that ARB has evaluated and determined do not adversely impact emissions, and thereby are granted an Executive Order (EO), which allows the part to be sold and used on specified motorcycles. Any aftermarket exhaust system that replaces or otherwise impacts emission control equipment, including catalytic converters, requires an EO to be sold and used on a motorcycle used on or off a public highway.

(Third) Competition Use Only Parts

Competition Use only Parts may not be sold or used on a motorcycle that is used on or off the public highways other than those motorcycles used exclusively for competition. Competition Use Only Parts are aftermarket parts that replace or otherwise interfere with the operation of an emission control device, such as a catalytic converter or oxygen sensor, and may be sold and used on a motorcycle that is used only for closed course competition. END QUOTE END OF SITE INFO

So, all full systems are classified as Competition Use Only parts because they get rid of the catalytic converter, so are illegal in California (please correct me if someone knows of a full system that contains a catalytic converter).

All cat-back systems (meaning slip-ons) are legal since they qualify as "replacement parts" under CARB rules.

There aren't any issues with slip-ons being too loud because most of the muffling is done in the collector box under the frame. No slip-on will make the R3 a LOT louder. Plus, California Highway Patrol rarely, if ever, do stops, or issue citations (or fix-it tickets) for "Too Loud Pipes". Probably true as well for all local LEOS.

Now, are CHP and other LEOS actually told to check for Full Systems? Unlikely, since the budget problems are so serious in California they don't have the manpower to do this sort of enforcement. You could probably run a full system with impunity as long as it isn't "Race Track LOUD". Not advising anyone to break the laws. Just sayin'

#3 · (Edited)
As far as I know, all 50 states require a catalytic converter, which means all full systems without a cat are technically illegal in all of America (for street use), yet, here we are with countless people riding around with all these cat-less full systems.

Whether or not a cop will pull you over is based on their discretion, usually the people who get pulled over are running extremely loud mufflers. But for the most part, you are highly unlikely to get pulled over with a yoshimura, unless you do something idiotic like continually rev your motorcycle at a stoplight with a cop nearby. I've ridden past at least a dozen cops without a DB Killer on my Yoshimura full system installed on my other bike, at steady cruising speed it isn't that loud at all relatively speaking.

The only people who should worry about cat-less full systems are the states with a mandatory full safety inspection on their motorcycles. But then, I have no clue if that is an issue or not.

In other words, you'll be fine in Cali with a Yoshimura full system.

#4 ·
If you pick one that looks like it conforms to the bike and the hole where gases exit is not too large you will NEVER have an issue, in SoCal anyway.

Get one of these shorty setups like a babys arm that you can see down into, anybody with half a brain can deduce its a race pipe.

I rode an R1 with custom Carbon slip on, it looked like the bike was sold with it on there. Its all about making a conservative choice, like the full size Yosh carbon. Its large, looks suited to normal use, and the hole at the back end looks reasonable so you arent shooting sparks out the a$$ end. Its one of few I have seen that looks more stock than not.

Dont go shiny look at me, pick something a tad muted that isnt too small. Just save your stock exhaust parts should you need to revert back.

#5 ·
Reactions: Decon blue
#6 ·
Plus, I am planning on taking the bike to a track.
What are somethings I can do to improve performance of the bike beside new tire, exhaust and suspension setting?

#7 ·
Braided brake lines, and coaching at the track day.

You can also add a hi flow air filter, power commander or bazzaz fuel controller.

For suspension, a good rear shock goes a long way to improve ride quality. In fact, I would skip the exhaust and get a shock instead. On my race bike build the first things I ordered were bodywork and a shock. Exhaust is, literally, at the bottom of my list. Yes I want to lose the weight, but I prefer suspension and brakes as the first things to address. I also couldn't risk crashing the beautiful factory body work so I had to get the fiberglass stuff.

#11 ·
The Cat is an insert that goes inside the exhaust right before the muffler. HERE

Here is the link. I don't know which one, if either, fits in the R3 version. You would have to contact Akrapovic to find out. I couldn't find anything on their site.

Actually, after doing a bit more research, it seems the converter is for Harley Davidisons only... :mad:

#18 ·
Has anything changed in CA for loudness of bikes and riders getting tickets? I often hear the rumbling of Harley's mostly and sport bikes too passing by my house on their way to their watering hole. Puts a smile on my face to hear and see all those riders living the dream.

Vehicle Exhaust Noise Level Certification
California law requires that all vehicles must be equipped with an adequate muffler to prevent excessive noise from the exhaust system. It also prohibits the operation of a passenger vehicle (other than a motorcycle), or a truck with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of less than 6,000 pounds, that has an exhaust noise level greater than 95 decibels, when tested under specified conditions.

If you have been issued a citation for operating a vehicle in violation of Vehicle Code Section 27150 or 27151, you must take your vehicle to a state Referee Center.
https://www.bar.ca.gov/FormsPubs/Fa...ehicle_Exhaust_Noise_Level_Certification.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.