Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.latimes.com/93916429-132.html

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-road-rage-motorcycle-crash-20170622-story.html

Anybody seen this? My GF and I are fighting vehemently over this. Personally, I have punched windows and screamed at drivers who've endangered me or other motorcyclists. Any time, I've been cut off, tailgated, etc I've often spoken my mind. As I have gotten older, I have done it less however.

Now, you don't see what caused this prior. Now, the biker kicks the car. Whoop dee do! He is endangering himself more than the actual driver of the car is is coccooned in a steel cage. However, the driver looks to immediately and purposefully run the biker off of his bike or possibly into the highway median-don't let road rage do this. I went crazy! you're endangering a life because he kicked your effing car?!?!? My girlfriend says she saw it as the motorcyclist caused him to go out of control. What! Are you effing kidding me-we're not talking right now because I went nuts.

The driver obviously tried to run the biker off of his bike, AND THEN lost control. Which goes to show what a crappy driver the person was. He/she freaked, panicked, and oversteered which is a classic bad move. For any biker, even if they loose emotion, I am going to side with 95% of the time, because most bikers are locked in and angry because of all the distracetd, reckless, and franklym incompetent drivers out there.

Now while the biker might have been wrong about kicking the car, it is not harming anyone, and again, only endangering the rider. He is kicking personal property, but c'mon, it is an inanimate object and fully replaceable. This angry, irresponsible, reckless, and crappy driver is more responsible and frankly totally out of line for trying to swerve into the rider. Why the media slants it more toward the motorcyclist's fault is beyond me, and frankly infuriate's me.:mad:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
In any case of bike vs car, as riders we should always just ride away. Nothing good comes from road rage involving a biker and car. Nothing worth dying over. In Cali, breaking people's side mirrors is a very normal thing in road rage incidents, kicking cars, happens a lot, but in the end I am sure if you ride away and thought about it an hour later you would ask, was that really worth risking my life? They could have no intention of harming you and still very well get you killed.

As a car driver, you should never let your emotions take control and have you purposefully go out to harm another motorist, it never ends well for anyone. Here in Japan I have my moments where I want to break mirrors but refrain. It's always a gainjin plated vehicle. Lol.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm with Kojiiro on this one, fighting with a 3000 lb. car is not smart. Now, following said car to owner's residence and returning later to administer "justice", that I can support (and in my 20's gladly participated in).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Holly cow... that's a crazy chain of events....I'm just amazed that the guy managed to stay on the bike after the car swerved into him. Regardless, probably not smart to pick a fight with an idiot in a car. "Administer justice"....ha-ha-ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I'm with Kojiiro on this one, fighting with a 3000 lb. car is not smart. Now, following said car to owner's residence and returning later to administer "justice", that I can support (and in my 20's gladly participated in).
GOtta be careful with that too. Some people ride armed up. There was a video of some bikers on a ride and a guy approaches another motorist who did not like what the riders were up to and started brandishing his weapon. You never know who you might roll up on, you don't know how their day was. Not worth the trouble if you ask me.

·
Registered
228 Posts

... I went crazy! you're endangering a life because he kicked your effing car?!?!? My girlfriend says she saw it as the motorcyclist caused him to go out of control. What! Are you effing kidding me-we're not talking right now because I went nuts.

Dude just get over it. Go lock yourself in a room and beat one off with your right or left hand, or use both hands if you're ambidextrous, and get that tension and frustration out of your system ... if not then go for a ride and get a massage.

Life's too short, there's more important issues in your own lives to be fighting over some stupid news article about some biker kicking a car and then finding himself getting run over. Regardless who was wrong or right these two individuals were in the wrong place at the wrong time, both didn't have a clear thought of mind, and both were trying get somewhere.

Let it rest and move on.

·
Registered
304 Posts
GOtta be careful with that too. Some people ride armed up. There was a video of some bikers on a ride and a guy approaches another motorist who did not like what the riders were up to and started brandishing his weapon. You never know who you might roll up on, you don't know how their day was. Not worth the trouble if you ask me.
I'm not talking about assaulting a person... more like using industrial spray adhesive on all the vehicles windows, then applying sand from a volley ball court. It will NEVER be removed, all windows will be replaced and most insurance policies have high deductibles for glass or using paint thinner to write the word "pedophile" on every body panel of vehicle.

I'm non-violent but not one to trifled with!

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
PHP:
If it's the same video, I've seen it and it still disturbs me to this day.

Two guys on bikes. Biker 1 does something that pisses off a couple of guys in a pickup truck. Biker two gets stuck at a red light and the truck pulls up next to him. The guy in the truck has a few words with him, they argue a bit because biker 2 is not the guy he has a beef with and next thing you know, the guy in a truck is brandishing a gun.

It freaks me out because I'm one of those guys who carries. I carry and a train... a lot. I've trained to ensure I'm calm and stable in very stressful situations but once a gun is pulled, everything changes.

I would never draw on someone unless I was 110% sure that I was about to die... and when a very angry guy, swearing and threatening to kill me pulls out a gun, a defensive "oh sh!t" switch gets flicked. That video disturbed me and I was safe behind my computer screen watching it on YouTube. I'd never want to be in that position in real life... ever.

I avoid conflict at all cost and in my opinion, the biker in this video needed to only hit his brake and avoid the car. Unfortunately, we have no idea what happened before the video started recording. Something else happened to cause the camera holder to start that video and we don't know what that was, or who started the whole debacle.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I'm not advocating or condone getting into conflicts, hitting, etc other vehicles or drivers due to road rage. It is best to safely get out of the situation and avoid further issues, cool down, or what have you. I simply admitted that in the past that when a driver has been egregiously dangerous around me, I have smacked windows and gone off verbally. Like I said, as I am older now, it is something I likely would not do now. However, I can understand it. I will certainly speak my mind and let the driver know my displeasure at his/her dangerous actions if possible, and in a respectful manner.

My main beef with this is that the car driver swerved at the motorcycle for a kick. Apparently, the driver blatantly cut off the motorcyclist. For a simple kick, which probably caused no damage to the car, the driver was willing to put the motorcyclist's life in danger. Unreal. Also, my girlfriend believes the kick caused the accident, which I argued against. She says the video shows the kick physically caused the driver to lose control of the car. I was like What!!??! It is physically impossible. It clearly looks that the enraged driver swerved erratically, the oversteered and lost control. How has life become so cheap to people over some traffic issue?

I think motorcyclists like me are frustrated drivers are so cavalier, oblivious, and incompetent out there, while motorcyclists, for the most part have more hoops, training and instruction, etc to go through.

·
Registered
204 Posts
1 of 2 things happened here.

1. Car crossed a solid yellow and white line and did not see the motorcycle and the motorcycle took justice into his own emotional hands.
2. The car was already in the lane and the bike tried to pass him. ( I don't think it was this one from what can be seeing.)

Regardless, if I wanted to strangle someone for being a D***A** I would beep, rev, middle finder, and go. No point to pull out my gun, kick, or punch the car as you are at a disadvantage will we all not agree? Its crazy how that car turned to the bike basically to kill him/her but remember if we are in a car and a bike does that to us we would freak out in the sense of being pissed off and want to possibly hurt them. At the end of the day what should have happened is that the bike should have pulled away and that's it but instead he/she thought justice was in their hands and was part of the accident weather it was his/her fault to begging with or not he was part of the problem do we not all agree? Just flick them off and ride away nothing else is worth the trouble.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Heres the real story::::

It was about 5:45 a.m. Wednesday when Traber was in the passenger seat of his coworker’s car as they drove to work at a utility company in Burbank. They were headed southbound on the 14 Freeway, and driving in the No. 1 lane, when the man on a Harley Davidson-type motorcycle passed them on the left, riding close to the double-yellow lines that separate the general traffic lanes from the HOV lanes.
About 150 feet ahead was a Nissan sedan driving in the HOV lane, Traber said. Just as the motorcyclist was passing the sedan on the right-hand side, the sedan tried to exit the carpool lane and enter the No. 1 lane. That’s when the car bumped the bike.
“I’m sure he didn’t see the motorcyclist,” Traber said of the driver. “He scared the living daylights out of the motorcyclist. He almost went down. That guy can really handle his bike.”

Traber said that after the motorcyclist regained control, he pulled up to the car’s passenger door and began gesturing at the driver. Traber said he appeared to be saying something too, but Traber couldn’t hear him. He said he figured the biker was “saying something like, hey, you almost hit me! Watch out!”
Traber said it looked as though the driver was yelling something back at the biker, and that it didn’t help matters, because that’s when the motorcyclist started kicking the passenger door.
“I said, ‘Wow, man, something’s going to happen. I gotta get this,’” Traber said. “So I grab my phone and started recording.”
The motorcyclist then swooped behind the sedan, pulled up along the driver side and kicked the car again, Traber said. In a flash, the driver of the sedan swerved hard left and sideswiped the motorcyclist, almost sending him barreling into a concrete freeway divider, he said.
“As you can see, he lost control after doing that,” Traber said of the driver.
The video captured the chaos that ensued. After bumping the motorcyclist, the car swerved right, and then left, and collided with the concrete divider in a shower of sparks and flame. The car then ricocheted off the divider, veered across the freeway and slammed into a Cadillac truck, flipping it over onto its roof.
The motorcyclist, meanwhile, had slowed down and managed to avoid the bumper, glass and debris from the sedan’s crash and rode off. Traber said he and his coworker, along with a handful of other drivers, stopped to help.
Bystanders pulled the truck’s driver, an elderly man, out of the truck and helped him to the side of the freeway, Traber said. The driver of the sedan was apologizing to the man profusely, he said. The driver of the truck was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries, the CHP said.
The CHP is handling the investigation and did not cite the driver of the sedan. Investigators need to interview the motorcyclist to get the whole story before any decisions are made, officials said. The case is now considered a hit-and-run.
Traber said he does not know how the video ended up online. He said he sent it to his family and a few coworkers, and that it served as a lesson.
“I think the fault was just both parties letting their emotions get the best of them,” Traber said. “This is what happens when you lose control.”

·
Registered
545 Posts
I live in Santa Clarita get on the freeway right there at Newhall Avenue to get to my best riding areas. So many factoids and bullshit claims everywhere. Most of what you are reading is pure bullshit. The people that claimed they filmed the video aren't even the owner of it.

If you think the CHP are not citing that driver you are nuts.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The driver of the car CLEARLY intended to make the motorcycle wreck.
He waited until the motorcycle was right next to his car, then he quickly swerved
with the intent to crash the bike.
I thought it was great the bike stayed upright, and the A-hole in the car got what
he deserved. The bad part is: the old dude in the white truck was collateral damage.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Instant karma for that sedan driver. The driver, who besides having total disregard for the motorcyclist and an anger management issue among other things, clearly shows how terrible a driver they are by losing control of that car in that manner. It blows my mind how in a fraction of second, a person just throws all sense and decency out the window and swerves into a vulnerable motorcyclist. Besides great harm, injury and/or death he could have caused, he could have opened himself up to liabilities, manslaughter, negligent homicide, or murder charges at the very least. For something so stupid, he could have killed the rider and destroyed his own life.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm a car driver before I was a rider, and I agree that most drivers do not have the awareness or enough training to understand motorcyclists. I've never realised how difficult it was to be a motorcyclist before I started learning to ride, and it's opened up a different perspective from a motorcyclist's view of the road. I fully respect riders now, when I'm out in the car I usually indicate and pull over to get out of the way to let them pass, or give them as much room as possible.

I remember a few years back when driving to work there was this motorcyclist who was speeding and sitting on the rear of my bumper on the dual carriageway (I think you yanks call it the highway or freeway) and I brake tested him, and the muppet went around me in anger and double thumped my passenger window in anger, which I can honestly understand now. What I did was stupid, and what that muppet rider was doing was also stupid, it was lucky nobody got hurt, cause I too could of swerved into the muppet as he undertook me.

In my opinion I think motorcyclist also need training in driving a car to understand what it's like to be a car driver perspective, as there are blind spots on the vehicle and sitting on the rear of someone bumper is not clever if the driver had to brake suddenly in case something ran out onto the road, or had to avoid a pothole.

Anyway guys, ride safe and stay calm out there and don't let your ego or frustration get the best of you. Give other road users space and respect.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The motorcyclist in this video is an idiot, and he’s lucky he’s not dead.

If yzfr3s’s account is accurate, this is a very common case of a motorcyclist making a risky decision in traffic and getting pissed that the 85-percent-clueless traffic around him doesn’t see him.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The motorcyclist in this video is an idiot, and he’s lucky he’s not dead.

If yzfr3s’s account is accurate, this is a very common case of a motorcyclist making a risky decision in traffic and getting pissed that the 85-percent-clueless traffic around him doesn’t see him.
Exactly.

Being seen is very important, and sitting in someone's blindspot or rear bumper is just plain stupid and is asking god to open up those pearly gates to let you through.

Nobody owns the road, it's shared with other public road users. Just remember that.

·
Registered
326 Posts
For a simple kick, which probably caused no damage to the car, the driver was willing to put the motorcyclist's life in danger. Unreal. Also, my girlfriend believes the kick caused the accident, which I argued against. She says the video shows the kick physically caused the driver to lose control of the car. I was like What!!??! It is physically impossible..
You never know. It could of been Logan on that bike.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Instant karma for that sedan driver. The driver, who besides having total disregard for the motorcyclist and an anger management issue among other things, clearly shows how terrible a driver they are by losing control of that car in that manner. It blows my mind how in a fraction of second, a person just throws all sense and decency out the window and swerves into a vulnerable motorcyclist. Besides great harm, injury and/or death he could have caused, he could have opened himself up to liabilities, manslaughter, negligent homicide, or murder charges at the very least. For something so stupid, he could have killed the rider and destroyed his own life.
Now while I get you defending the rider, stop acting as if he were faultless. We don't know what happened before the video starts. Let's assume the driver truly was at fault and did whatever he did to anger th rider. Rider decides he's going to start kicking cars in traffic. Big mistake. As I said, riders will knock mirrors off and what not in anger, but just be ready for anything if you do choose to take that path. Both parties are wrong. Simple as that. Anytime you decide to kick on doors or break mirrors off, just be ready for a confrontation, because that is what you are instigating. Most sport bike riders I know are smart enough to at least get some speed going and knock mirrors off, somewhat keeping them out of harms way, rather than just " oh let me get right at cruising speed and start kicking on people's ****. Regardless of whether a car is replaceable or not, you have no right to kick it. Your bike is replaceable, if I put a cheeseburger on it and it melts onto the bike, that does not make it ok for me to do what I just did. I expect a full on confrontation if I were to do something like that to your car or bike. That's what anger does. You start making irrational decisions because your mind is clouded.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts