Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install a slip on exhaust for my 2020 R3 and do not know if it is California legal. The one I am interested in is the Akrapovič slip-on line (SS) S-Y2SO11-AHCSS.

·
Super Moderator
1,006 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I have Akra's website attached below. Unless I'm reading it wrong...the one you're looking at is not street legal.
Their carbon slip-on S-Y2S016-HAPC/1 appears to be. It's also on their site for the 2020 R3.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the response. I just read on their website about the slip on exhaust I want and it says non carb compliant for California. I don’t understand why this is not compliant or maybe it is for my motorcycle after all it is all stock and this is just a slip on. I would really like to be able to use it but don’t want a fix it ticket and have to put the stock exhaust on because I hate the sound of it and it is bulky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just remove your stock muffler, it'll be better and cost less and your bike will weigh less. Slip on is not a thing to even try with the R3 since the catalytic converter will still muffle and choke the whole exhaust. Go with a full system or just remove the muffler.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much I will take it off and give it a try I just don’t want to get that thousand dollar fix it ticket and I really like the look of the slip on exhaust.

·
Registered
188 Posts
California is a WHOLE different ball game. Anything that adversely affects emissions is a no-no. Any piece of the exhaust system or any other emissions-related component that you want to replace, has to have a CARB EO "exemption order" number, which means the manufacturer has to go through a bunch of testing to demonstrate that the vehicle remains emissions-compliant with that piece replaced. This is expensive, and that's why you'll only find EO's on a small sub-set of aftermarket parts, and a whole lot of other manufacturers have big disclaimers about how they're not legal for on-road use in California (and you can get a big emissions-tampering ticket for it).

The other one that you listed, doesn't have an EO number because Akra didn't go through the testing procedures with it. Remember, getting an EO number is expensive. It simply isn't practical or cost effective for them to test everything they make (and some of it may not be compliant anyhow even if they did). I'm actually rather surprised that they offer anything with an EO number at all, instead of doing what most manufacturers do ... gave up on the California market.

"Remove your stock muffler" - No, not legal - emissions tampering - this is begging for a ticket.
"Go with a full system" - Absolutely not legal, it eliminates the catalyst, which is the main emissions-legal part of the whole exhaust system.

You have little choice in the matter if you want to remain legal and still want to change the exhaust system: you have to pick one that has a CARB EO number (and keep the documentation for it just in case).

Bear in mind that it will sound little different from stock ...that's part of the deal with achieving compliance ...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thank you for the response. I just read on their website about the slip on exhaust I want and it says non carb compliant for California. I don’t understand why this is not compliant or maybe it is for my motorcycle after all it is all stock and this is just a slip on. I would really like to be able to use it but don’t want a fix it ticket and have to put the stock exhaust on because I hate the sound of it and it is bulky.
I have that particular exhaust on my R3. It really isn’t much louder than stock. I agree the stock can is big and ugly. If you don’t like the sound of stock, you probably wouldn’t like the Akra GP slip-on either. Just my opinion-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts