Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been talked about. Did a search on the forum and nothing came up. I've heard that early 2015 models have faulty cams that are prone to actually breaking. Has anyone heard of this happen or had it happen themselves?? Not much info on this that I can find, I just heard about it from a friend.

Reactions: SpearsRacing

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sorry if this has already been talked about. Did a search on the forum and nothing came up. I've heard that early 2015 models have faulty cams that are prone to actually breaking. Has anyone heard of this happen or had it happen themselves?? Not much info on this that I can find, I just heard about it from a friend.
call me this week @ 209 923-4684

I believe we (spears racing were one of the first if not the first to have this happen to them

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Street use, I haven't heard anything about it.
Apparently, it has happened on the race track, so maybe sustained redline operation is the trigger.
It hasn't happened to anyone that I know about. My R3 only has 2,500 miles on it. ( Street use only. )

·
Registered
350 Posts
call me this week @ 209 923-4684

I believe we (spears racing were one of the first if not the first to have this happen to them
So chasing a FZ1 I'm basically redline most of the time. Except twisty riding I way out ride him on that but depending on how well I know the road I can be almost redline. I know I'm going to get caught. So.... should I be worried....
Yamaha's protocol is if two people have the same problem no matter the mods an investigation begins and it usually ends with a recall. Some times its only a certain factory model like the two bike where made on the line one the same day so all the bikes that day are recalled or that week depending on their quality assurance lab. If you don't mind me asking how did your cam exactly break? My boyfriend is a mechanical engineer and he is curious haha

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So chasing a FZ1 I'm basically redline most of the time. Except twisty riding I way out ride him on that but depending on how well I know the road I can be almost redline. I know I'm going to get caught. So.... should I be worried....
Yamaha's protocol is if two people have the same problem no matter the mods an investigation begins and it usually ends with a recall. Some times its only a certain factory model like the two bike where made on the line one the same day so all the bikes that day are recalled or that week depending on their quality assurance lab. If you don't mind me asking how did your cam exactly break? My boyfriend is a mechanical engineer and he is curious haha

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
2 people having the same problem is probably not even close for any company to start an investigation ending in a recall. Gregg Spears said he knows of about a dozen cases of this problem and Yamaha is aware of them and still no recall on that, but obviously they did something different because the 2016 cams have a different part number. It usually takes a lot more than a few failures to really get them moving, unless it is something critical, regarding safety. Like if it happened to 2 people and they both died because of the failure, then yeah they'll really look into it fast.

·
Registered
538 Posts
2 people having the same problem is probably not even close for any company to start an investigation ending in a recall. Gregg Spears said he knows of about a dozen cases of this problem and Yamaha is aware of them and still no recall on that, but obviously they did something different because the 2016 cams have a different part number. It usually takes a lot more than a few failures to really get them moving, unless it is something critical, regarding safety. Like if it happened to 2 people and they both died because of the failure, then yeah they'll really look into it fast.
I haven't heard of this. Do you have pictures?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't heard of this. Do you have pictures?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
No...hasn't happened to me. Talk to Spears if you want to know more about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts