Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I ride an MT03 which is basically the same engine.

What I can tell from my experience and riding with my friends is that you can keep up if they let you. In our group we have two CBR Fireblades (1000ccm) a r6 and an er6n.
If you drive at a normal pace there is no problem, but once you drive a little bit sportier you have no chance. They accelerate better, are faster and more stable at highspeed in corners.
It's all good till you reach 120kmh. At this speed they accelerate so much better and it is a pain in the ass to overtake other cars. The big bikes can basically overtake where ever they want, because it takes them only 2-3 seconds. Thats where I always get stuck behind, trying to overtake someone. Its a lot harder to find a gap.

·
Registered
511 Posts
At the end of the day, there is no replacement for displacement. However, I prefer the nimble feel of the Yamaha over the more powerful motor of a larger moto. The motor/chassis/hp-weight design of the 321cc feels well balanced to me and is confidence inspring. In my opinion, the abundance of power with the larger bikes at times overwhelms the suspension/chassis action. One mistake I made on the MT-03 was sweeping thru some curves and passing a group of BMW riders. That was the last time I got invited by that group. LOL. Hey but whatever floats your boat, all bikes of any size work for me.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I would say it depends on the track or road. An R3 will never "keep up" on open freeways. You cruise at 80? Cool. The bigger bikes will walk you past 80 to 120 and still have about 30-60 mph to go before they max out, maybe more. On tighter roads, like some sections of Palomar, there is hardly any use for anything past 2nd on a 600+, and the nimble little bikes will keep up with them. Same applies to the track and time and time again, you will see the big bikes walk smaller ones in the straights and then get passed in the corners.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would say it depends on the track or road. An R3 will never "keep up" on open freeways. You cruise at 80? Cool. The bigger bikes will walk you past 80 to 120 and still have about 30-60 mph to go before they max out, maybe more. On tighter roads, like some sections of Palomar, there is hardly any use for anything past 2nd on a 600+, and the nimble little bikes will keep up with them. Same applies to the track and time and time again, you will see the big bikes walk smaller ones in the straights and then get passed in the corners.
This. Big bikes are as fun as it gets in cheap teleporting. Smaller bikes fun at everything else :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts