Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Do you know the widest I can go in the front?
Keep in mind changing tire size may affect your bikes handling. If you are trying to make it look more aggressive, mount an M134 Vulcan to the front of it.

Or get some lower bars, black everything out, swap out that dinky front caliper for an R6 caliper, do an USD fork swap, get a rear seat cowl, stick a ton of racing sponsorship stickers on it, CF vinyl wrap some parts, stick a CF shorty pipe/full system on it and you are off to a good start.

Another alternate which may save time is to sell it and buy a used older R6/zx6r/r1/zx10r/etc for around 4K.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Keep in mind changing tire size may affect your bikes handling. If you are trying to make it look more aggressive, mount an M134 Vulcan to the front of it.

Or get some lower bars, black everything out, swap out that dinky front caliper for an R6 caliper, do an USD fork swap, get a rear seat cowl, stick a ton of racing sponsorship stickers on it, CF vinyl wrap some parts, stick a CF shorty pipe/full system on it and you are off to a good start.

Another alternate which may save time is to sell it and buy a used older R6/zx6r/r1/zx10r/etc for around 4K.
Regarding the USD fork swap, do you know what bike's USD forks will work with our bikes? I did this mod on my 2001 GSXR (bought the whole set up on ebay from a 2006 GSXr for like $600)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Regarding the USD fork swap, do you know what bike's USD forks will work with our bikes? I did this mod on my 2001 GSXR (bought the whole set up on ebay from a 2006 GSXr for like $600)

Thanks
I would guess R6/R1 forks just to stay with thre same manufacturer. I did a fork swap as well on a ninja 650 a while back. Things of importance are going to be sourcing triples, finding a stem the same length as the stock one, Etc. Otherwis you need to press out the old stem from the R3 and then press them into whatever triples you intend on using. There is a pic of an R3 floating around with USD forks. It's probably still cheaper and easier to just buy a used one. No messing with geometry after your project is done.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Pretty much what I thought, I was hoping you or somebody else had already done it and I could just copy a successful build. Otherwise, it looks like the 2017 R3 gets the USD upgrade

·
Registered
542 Posts
Front forks are 41mm. Same as some generation Sv 650s,and some older sport bikes. The rest of the yammie lineup, (new bikes at least) run larger forks.

A Google search will get you a list of bikes that run 41mm, but you have to dig to find which are usd and of similar height.

·
Registered
542 Posts
After thought....

Keep in mind, a standard fork like ours with a good upgrade (online, traxxion, etc) will out perform most stock usd forks.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Pretty much what I thought, I was hoping you or somebody else had already done it and I could just copy a successful build. Otherwise, it looks like the 2017 R3 gets the USD upgrade
I saw that on a different website. Most likely non adjustable so with that, it's only aesthetics until a cartridge kit comes out. Everyone likes the looks of USD vs RSD but for me functionality comes first so I would not mind grabbing the 15-16 bikes and installing a currently available kit vice waiting for the 17's to come out and waiting for their kit. Wondering how much a retrofit would cost for the R3.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
After thought....

Keep in mind, a standard fork like ours with a good upgrade (online, traxxion, etc) will out perform most stock usd forks.
Absolutely. Only limiting factor with the new ones is waiting on R&D for the inevitable cartridge kits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts