Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all the oil expert here
From previous oil change there's a quart of 3100 left and I bought a gallon of 7100 recently. Should I use mix them together for the incoming oil change or just leave the 3100 completely? I will be changing the oil filter this time too

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
3100 is pure mineral and 7100 is 100% synthetic. If they're the same viscosity, you'd end up with maybe Motul 5100? Probably not an issue, but others may disagree. We've all mixed oils at one time or another, topping off the family truckster with what happened to be on hand, etc. - and I've never heard of a catastrophic failure resulting from it. Better to have oil in there than not enough of the 'proper' oil.

I'd either buy another 3100, or just go to the 7100 if it were me - but I'm OCD that way (don't liking mixing food on my plate either.....)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
3100 is pure mineral and 7100 is 100% synthetic. If they're the same viscosity, you'd end up with maybe Motul 5100? Probably not an issue, but others may disagree. We've all mixed oils at one time or another, topping off the family trickster with what happened to be on hand, etc. - and I've never heard of a catastrophic failure resulting from it. Better to have oil in there than not enough of the 'proper' oil.

I'd either buy another 3100, or just go to the 7100 if it were me - but I'm OCD that way (don't liking mixing food on my plate either.....)
Holy Crap man, that bad?! Mixing synth and mineral would yield partial synthetic wouldnt it? Lol.

I have also mixed synthetic and mineral oil, but in a car. No harm done there.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Stirz;295770 - but I'm OCD that way (don't liking mixing food on my plate either.....)[/quote said:
That one's even got a name. Brumotactillophobia (isn't that made up of words touching words?)

Casseroles must be a nightmare for you, then? ;)

And Mexican Food? Fuhgedaboudit! :eek:

TV dinners would probably work well, with all those separate compartments, but eating them all the time would kill you.....

·
Registered
326 Posts
Personally I wouldn't mix it. Try the 300v next time. It's great stuff, and no just because it's listed as a racing oil doesn't mean you have to change it more often. That's a misconception.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts