Yamaha R3 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've been following this thread for a while and wanted to share my experience with lowering my bike. By the time I got my bike, the J&P cycles rear shock was no longer available and frankly, jerry-rigging a shock with a bunch of washers to make it fit really didn't sound like a great set-up to me. Fortunately, lowering links from T-Rex Racing just became available and based on a couple of other reviews here, I took the plunge. I'm very happy with my decision and I enjoy riding so much more now.

Although I had learned to one-foot the bike, having only minimal control of the bike at stops was starting to cause me so much anxiety that I just wasn't taking the bike out anymore. I was up on my tiptoes and walking or backing up on the bike was just out of the question. However, I read so much negative commentary on lowering the bike that I kept thinking, "I should just learn to be a better rider!" "I'll mess up the bike!" "I should just forget about track days if I'm going to lower it." So I put it off. I lost so much time actually enjoying my bike because of my fear of it. When I finally took it in to have the bike professionally lowered, my mechanic told me, "Don't worry about lowering it. You have to be comfortable on your bike."

So, just a note to naysayers of lowering: if you're a taller rider, you don't have to deal with those issues so quit with the judgment. If you're a shorter rider who is comfortable on a tall bike, don't shame other riders who don't have your level of confidence. Short newbies like me: Do your research. There are pros and cons, but the cons may not be that bad. You should enjoy your bike.

AMEN!

Besides...... lowering it isn't permanent. I first tried the J&P shock and for me it was just TOO low. Put the stock shock back in and kept riding. Ordered the T-Rex links and installed when I found the time. It's like the happy medium.

Randy

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Yes, it's a pretty accurate claim. I measured the seat height before and after and it was really close to 1.5 inches.
I'm pretty good (flat foot) with the bike already, but for an around town bike, I could work with 0.5-0.75" more ... just a little more, it's just convenient to be all kinds of flat foot. 1.5" might be too much drop though, hrm. I guess I'd just have to try it.

What about the front forks, do they lower by slipping down a bit? Is there clearance to do so? To keep the headlight adjusted level. My bike is far away at the moment so I can't examine it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi R3Girl,

I wanted to give you a big big thank you for your write-up on lowering the R3!

I've been contemplating a R3 for the past year, but haven't gotten around to it due partially to height intimidation of the moto.

With being a new rider, living in San Francisco and now your write-up, I am much more likely to purchase the bike! I am a 5'7" male, but with a darn silly 28" inseam, so your write-up is right up my alley.

Since your write-up and experience with the mod, what would you change or have you experienced that could have been done differently?

Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wonder how well the jp cycle shock would work for me. I weight around 270. Will the shock be stiff enough or will it bottom out when going over bumps?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wonder how well the jp cycle shock would work for me. I weight around 270. Will the shock be stiff enough or will it bottom out when going over bumps?
It may very well bottom out. As I mentioned above, I did have it on for a short while. Don't know where or when, but it did bottom out. Noticed the scar on the undertail when I was cleaning. Unsure if it was before or after adjusting the preload to the heaviest setting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looked at the jp cycle website and the shock isn't there Anymore anyways. Does anyone know of another shock that could be used? Trying to avoid using the t-Rex links.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi R3Girl,

I wanted to give you a big big thank you for your write-up on lowering the R3!

I've been contemplating a R3 for the past year, but haven't gotten around to it due partially to height intimidation of the moto.

With being a new rider, living in San Francisco and now your write-up, I am much more likely to purchase the bike! I am a 5'7" male, but with a darn silly 28" inseam, so your write-up is right up my alley.

Since your write-up and experience with the mod, what would you change or have you experienced that could have been done differently?

Appreciate your feedback.
I'm half inch taller than you with the same 28" inseam and i don't find it a problem at all,in fact i've never even thought about it until i read this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I'd like mine lowered about an inch so I can be totally flat footed on it. It would make all the difference in terms of my confidence. Also, I think it helps to eliminate the gap in the rear wheel area a bit after you take off the fender. Plus it just looks more hunkered down and aggressive - which I really like.

I'm going to keep looking at my options.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's cool. Knew someone would come out with it sooner or later.

However, for as long as they're still avalable, that shock from JPcycles is only $37 shipped (list MSRP was originally over $100) and is a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better shock (can't emphasize enough how much better it really is) than the stock one and lowers the bike by the same amount, or a bit more.

I bought one for my GROM and it was a HUGE improvement. It didn't lower it since the two shocks are the same length but the difference in ride was like night and day.

Would seem to be a No-brainer....

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/990-310
How come when I go to the link I can't find a shock for our bike the R3? Or is it under some other name?

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Here's more fuel for the fire: since the T-Rex links are essentially just a rear dog bone type of mount - couldn't you just create something like this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2000-00-Yama...ash=item1e962a90f8:g:CR4AAOSwg3FUf1Q8&vxp=mtr

Same type of idea but would give you a little more clearance between the tire and the shock. They would need to be thicker than this one of course but you get the idea. If I had any kind of metal fabrication skills I would try this myself but I don't so hopefully someone out there understands what I mean!

EDIT - nevermind. Just realized the T-Rex links are the same. What I was looking at was not part of the link kit, it was the shock.

So for the t-Rex links - maybe a similar one could be made but with less of a drop so that the shock is further away from the rear tire?

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
So for the t-Rex links - maybe a similar one could be made but with less of a drop so that the shock is further away from the rear tire?
I think the problem becomes jamming all the bolts into one location, for shrinking the drop amount. I realized that when I installed the 6R lowering link. You can't have just 1/2" or 3/4" drop with the link method.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
But there are adjustable link setups out there (for suspensions that are already link setups). There must be a way to do this without breaking the bank.

From what I've seen of other setups, its two links that I'm assuming you can change the length by twisting the middle section - sort of like a tie rod I guess. Surely something as elementary as that could be fabricated for the R3.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Yeah I saw one like what you're talking about. Different than the "triangle" kind with 3 bolt holes. Not sure how the R3 one works.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Well the T-Rex links are an attempt at the 3 hole type of setup except with 2 holes, lol

Here's a *hypothetical* scenario - what if you simply cut part of the stock spring off? I know it would lower the bike but would the spring then be bouncing around in between the spring perches? I was contemplating buying one off ebay to experiment with cutting a small part of the spring off just to see what would happen. If it didn't work, I wouldn't be out very much dough.

But it seems like a lot of work just for a minimal / possibly no gain.

I wish someone would just MAKE a spring that's lower and you could just install it on the stock shock. That would be the best and easiest way to go. Unless the shock rod would bottom out or the valving isn't setup for a lowered spring? I could see that too.

161 - 180 of 217 Posts