Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was inside the back of the bike yesterday wiring up some new directionals and now I need someone to do a sanity check for me.
The new turns came with absolutely no paperwork and there's nothing available online so I was left with trying each wire until I found which was the ground, which was the directional, which was the running light and which was the brake. Needless to say, it was a royal pain in the neck (and I'm still not done yet)

While goofing around with all these wires, I started the bike and heard a small popping sound coming from the area just beneath the seat and I blew the 15w directional fuse. No exposed wires, no shorts that I can see... everything looks good. I replaced the fuse and everything is working as it should but now whenever I start the bike, I still hear that tiny little electrical "popping" sound from just beneath the seat. It's something I've never noticed before so I'm not sure if it's normal.

It may be nothing but now I'm wondering if I have a phantom short somewhere. Can someone pull their seat, start their bike and see if you also hear a little popping sound? It may just be the ignition relay I'm hearing. I'm just not sure if the sound is normal or not.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Sounds normal to me. You can hear that on a lot of bikes. Typical sound that some relays make.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Thanks bud... that's what I was hoping. Just really strange that I popped a fuse and now I'm all freaked out. LOL
Sometimes we do that. Mind plays tricks on us. We hear things that we never noticed before and think it's a bad thing. Recently I took my forks out on the zx6r to service them and I was compressing each one just for shits and giggles and heard a strange slurpy sound from both. On one I would hear it when I compressed it, and the other I would hear it when it would rebound back up. I thought for sure they're all ****** up lol...did some searching online and found that it's perfectly normal, and the reason for the difference was because since they have the Ohlins 30mm cartridges, one of the forks has the rebound adjustment only and the other the compression adjustment. So naturally the one that had the slurpy sound on the compression was the compression fork and the other was the rebound fork. Duhh! lol

Sure enough once I replaced fluid, seals and dust seals, they sounded the same way so it's all normal. But yeah it freaked me out a bit at first :)

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never heard that sound on my bike before and even now that it's all back together, I hear the ignition "pop" when I start the bike.
I don't think I'll be able to not hear it now. I do think I'll keep a few extra fuses with me for a little while, just in case.
I'm paranoid now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Do you mean the pops at 4-5 second marks and again at 12-13 seconds? I hear that without the seat being removed. Happens on the R25 as well as the R3.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you mean the pops at 4-5 second marks and again at 12-13 seconds? I hear that without the seat being removed. Happens on the R25 as well as the R3.
Yeah, right at those time marks. It makes a little popping noise right as I hit the starter button and it makes it again as I release it.
I guess it's normal. I will however, always wonder how I managed to blow the 15w fuse for the directionals. Maybe it was while I was testing all the light's leads to see which went where.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Guess you were just unlucky man. I just installed some today. My turn signals had a black and yellow wire, and I just attached them to the red and brown sections of a wire harness converter and I must have guess correctly. Only funny thing was... sometimes even when I used the signal switch the lights never come on. I guess we all get unlucky.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts