Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you program the bike so that the rev limiter kicks in at a lower RPM than the factory setting?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Are you talking about the shift light or the actual rev limiter? Rev limiter can't be changed I'm pretty sure unless you have a tuner (PCV, Bazzaz etc). Shift light can be changed accordingly by following the directions in the owners manual which can be had for free from yamaha's website.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Yes it can be changed with a different ECU map, or if you have a PCV/Bazzaz system....but why would you want to lower it?? Most people want to raise it if they want to make a change, I've never heard of anyone that would want to lower it. That would imply less peak power on a bike that's already low on power. I guess I just don't understand the reasoning here for wanting to do that. Please elaborate.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes it can be changed with a different ECU map, or if you have a PCV/Bazzaz system....but why would you want to lower it?? Most people want to raise it if they want to make a change, I've never heard of anyone that would want to lower it. That would imply less peak power on a bike that's already low on power. I guess I just don't understand the reasoning here for wanting to do that. Please elaborate.
I'm also with you in this train of thought, but I think they're referring to the light.... maybe not...

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Perhaps he wants to lower the rev-limiter to protect the camshaft.
Since there is a rare chance it can break, from extended high-rpm abuse.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
So....shift earlier?

·
Registered
326 Posts
That's what the Y.E.S program is for. Rev away!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes.

And just in case I'm not paying attention to the RPMs while shifting. Kinda making it idiot proof :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
From reading your other posts SmallBikesRFun, you dont even own the bike yet...

From my riding, you have to consciously work to get the RPM's up to where you would be even close to redline. You wont "accidentally" get the RPM's up to where it will be an issue IMO.

Also the cam shafts were supposedly changed for 16+ and only some of the 15's cams were a problem, at least thats what I figured out in my research last month or two.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Yes.

And just in case I'm not paying attention to the RPMs while shifting. Kinda making it idiot proof :)
Riding a bike requires lots of attention. This is a piss poor excuse.

That said, as mentioned below, you gotta be trying to be hitting the redline, and the rev limiter. I ride the piss out of my bike. I shift at redline most of the time. Once you get there it starts making that distinct sound letting you know you are hitting the rev limiter, but as mentioned you have to be trying for that to happen.

From reading your other posts SmallBikesRFun, you dont even own the bike yet...

From my riding, you have to consciously work to get the RPM's up to where you would be even close to redline. You wont "accidentally" get the RPM's up to where it will be an issue IMO.

Also the cam shafts were supposedly changed for 16+ and only some of the 15's cams were a problem, at least thats what I figured out in my research last month or two.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not to mention I'm pretty sure the only cam failures I've heard of have been track bikes... I also like @Kojiiro ride the piss out of my bike and am always wringing it out (cmon it only has ~40-45hp) without an issue. On the streets you probably won't have cam problems.... you're not spending hours of hours at redline when the motor is really hot like on a track.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
All solid advice and reasoning above! I've always shifted by sound...I don't wait until the bike hits the rev limiter except when I'm riding at the track, and even then it just depends on my gearing, track layout and how hard I really want to push it. Hence I said the people that change their rev limiter usually raise it, not lower it. I did that on my cbr500 because with the PCV it's extremely easy to raise it by 500 rpm. It's just a box that you have to check in one of the settings menu. It's basically a pre-set function. But for street riding, I don't think I've ever even come close to hitting the rev limiter by accident, on any bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts