Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Can you guys help me w gear

5K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  FangShui 
#1 ·
So im getting a r3 and i want to budget all costs.

Anyone w spare time before riding your bike can you take a quick snap of what all your gear looks like and also cost of retail of what you all paid?

I know sounds like a tall order i just want to see high and low of all gear as well as what it actually looks like on people. Going to see what i can put together and costs

Appreciate your time

#2 · (Edited)
I live in Florida so I have a textile jacket.
Alpinestar Viper Air. Has good ventilation and hard protections for the elbow/arm and shoulders. Also has pockets for back and chest armor inserts. $200
Gloves are Alpinestar Masai. Good ventilation and protection. $60
Boots are Tactical work boots in leather/textile and steel toe. $40
Helmet was off internet. Paid I think $50
Pants for now are jeans. But I really want/need proper pants. Next pay check for sure!

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
You can get gear on the cheap from fleabay, or on this and other forums (new or used), or you can spend upward of a couple of grand. As a minimum, brain bucket, jacket and gloves.
I have as much in my helmet as Wmena has in his rig, total, so there's quite a range in helmets alone. But I've crashed more than once and my gear saved quite a bit of my hide.

Attachments

#17 ·
I would recommend adding riding jeans and actual riding boots. Rash Sucks and so do banged up knees. I have been down twice on the street and was thankful both times for the CE armor in the jeans. As for the boots, I prefer riding boots as they actually support the ankle.

Just buy what you can afford so you'll be protected now and worry about nice/expensive gear down the road.

I mean, sure, it would be nice if you can afford the good stuff/things you think look good right now, in the long run it will save you money but the cost will make you buy a piece here, a piece there and you won't be fully protected for weeks or months.

I went through 3 different jackets in a year finding the one I really liked. I own 2 helmets. 2 gloves. I'm looking into getting a second pair of pants. Yes I spent more money that I needed to but I was protected the entire time in over a year of riding because I initially bought affordable gear to ensure I was protected the moment I got on my motorcycle.
Cycle Gear does a great job offering gear on the cheap until you can afford the better stuff. Everyone says their gear sucks, and while I hate seeing "Bilt" 37 times on gloves or 98 times on a jacket, I would rather see someone wearing that than a button up shirt. I have been down in a Bilt jacket twice, ~45mph lowside both times and the jacket is still useable, with no holes. Will it be different at freeway speeds of 65+? For sure, but it still beats nothing

The WERA classifieds are a great place to find used stuff.

Also check out the N2 and Sportbike Track Time

I am sure there are some big track day orgs in California you could check out also for used gear, I just don't know any of them. :)

Another great source of high end gear are the Ducati forums. For some reason those guys are always getting rid of high end gear for, mostly, reasonable prices.
+1 on WERA. I feel like some of those guys get free/highly discounted gear from sponsors, and either never wear it or barely wear it and sell.

+1 on WERA classifieds. It's a good place to find higher quality gear, sometimes barely used.
High end gear comes with a high end price. If you are on a budget, just buy the best gear you can afford - it is worth it.
+2 on your +1 !

#4 ·
I stay in NorCal Bay area so give you an idea what the climate is like here

Perhaps start with each category
Helmet: Kabuto Kamui Retail$250
http://www.kabutousa.com/product/kamui/solid/pearl-white
Really soft lining that my weird shaped head feels comfortable, tried Arai/Schuberth/Shoei and still not as comfortable, and at a fraction of the cost(not like 700)

Jacket: RS Taichi Core 1 Retail$430
http://pro1.rs-taichi.com/product/RSJ830.html
Really good protection, have upgrade with chest/back for CE2 armor as well. I don't really feel hot even in 80s and wear short tee inside(still got a cool ride tee yet to be in used because this is good enough)

Gloves: Alpinestar SP-2 leather Retail $130
http://www.alpinestars.com/sp-2-leather-glove-4#.Vd55OfkzhBc
feels pretty hot, I'm tempted to get rid of them for another pair already

Pants: Wearing snowboarding pants with vent(textile) and incoming knee guard
http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/rs-taichi-stealth-knee-guard-trv059/
I am pretty short and skinny that just can't find a pair of motorcycle pants fit me properly, I will probably look for a full size suit in the winter to get around the problem if I can't get any better pants in a few months

Shoes: RS taichi BOA drymaster $199
http://pro1.rs-taichi.com/product/RSS006.html
I was about to get S&S ankle boots for $110, extra $80 to get around with shoelace problem(even dress shoes I just slip on, I know I'm lazy lol)

From listing all these I realize I'm a sucker for RS Taichi and spend quite a lot on gears. RS Taichi fits well and Japanese engineering is just simply amazing, I definitely would go for better stuff for a little more(not $800 helmet/5years, even if I have extra money to spend). And I simply lose more for not working half a week than the costs of all the gears combined, no brainer not to protect myself(and my family's well being)
Cheap out on not getting upgrades on bikes, not your safety. I see kids around the area riding R1 with shorts and tee, that's just simply suicidal and surprised their parents let them do that

And I just realized I never took a picture of myself with all the gears on...... lol

#6 ·
Just buy what you can afford so you'll be protected now and worry about nice/expensive gear down the road.

I mean, sure, it would be nice if you can afford the good stuff/things you think look good right now, in the long run it will save you money but the cost will make you buy a piece here, a piece there and you won't be fully protected for weeks or months.

I went through 3 different jackets in a year finding the one I really liked. I own 2 helmets. 2 gloves. I'm looking into getting a second pair of pants. Yes I spent more money that I needed to but I was protected the entire time in over a year of riding because I initially bought affordable gear to ensure I was protected the moment I got on my motorcycle.

#7 ·
I wore textile for decades. Just this year I decided to switch to leather. Figured if leathers are good enough for me on the track I should update my street gear.
I found a like new RS Tiachi perforated leather jacket with a liner on a local sport bike forum.
6 weeks later I had a deer head butt me off of my Triumph Daytona 675R. The jacket has some serious scuffs/scars, but held up great as I tumbled and rolled down the asphalt.
I am now thinking of ditching ALL of my textiles.

Attachments

Reactions: Lollingthunder
#8 · (Edited)
too lazy to attach a pic right now but I bought most of my stuff used off of craigslist

stuff I bought off craigslist:

astars rc1 full leather suit - 230
astars smx5 boots - 100
astars gp pro leather jacket - 250

brand new:

bell vortex flying tiger - 180 (150 for the transitions shield so worth it!)
astars sp8 gauntlets - 180
dainese air textile pants - 250
astars bionic back protector - 200

I recommend you get as much used gear as possible off craigslist it will save you tons! But make sure you buy a helmet that is brand new!

#9 ·
I've gotten much of my track gear from Craigslist and local sport bike forums. Great way to save. Dudes are always gaining weight or upgrading. Racers like to upgrade to spendier leather suits as they get faster.

Try the wera forum. Great source.

Here's some of my gear on the track.

Attachments

Reactions: Lollingthunder
#10 · (Edited)
Don't know if you are coming back, or unless you are just viewing this topic as a guest, but had my wife take a pic of me today before heading out:

These are all prices I paid at the time of purchase, things may have come down.

Shark Vancore 280 (imported price)
Dianese Evo pelle leather 500
Dianese 4 stroke Evo 220
Uglybros 2Slubk 350
Stylmartin Indian 295

I also have a back protector cost separate in there but not going to add that in.

So about 1645.00 just on gear. Ugh... adding up the cost is always... super depressing. Don't ever add up the cost of all your mods. That will be worse.

Reactions: FangShui
#12 ·
Don't know if you are coming back, or unless you are just viewing this topic as a guest, but had my wife take a pic of me today before heading

IMAGE REMOVED

These are all prices I paid at the time of purchase, things may have come down.

Shark Vancore 280 (imported price)
Dianese Evo pelle leather 500
Dianese 4 stroke Evo 220
Uglybros 2Slubk 350
Stylmartin Indian 295

I also have a back protector cost separate in there but not going to add that in.

So about 1645.00 just on gear. Ugh... adding up the cost is always... super depressing. Don't ever add up the cost of all your mods. That will be worse.

Nice bike. Thx guys. Over 1g is too rich for my blood. Guess ill look into used want to stay around 400-500 range

#11 ·
The WERA classifieds are a great place to find used stuff.

Also check out the N2 and Sportbike Track Time

I am sure there are some big track day orgs in California you could check out also for used gear, I just don't know any of them. :)

Another great source of high end gear are the Ducati forums. For some reason those guys are always getting rid of high end gear for, mostly, reasonable prices.

#15 ·
First, I'm a great fan of ebay. Second, I'm a great fan of Snell-approved helmets - pretty rare in low-cost helmets. Thru ebay, I bought a HJC CL-17 helmet, brand new for $40 less than anywhere else. Absolutely the best helmet I've ever owned! Also bought a Scorpion EXO solid black leather jacket with armor and liner, like new, for $80, a nice MotoGP mesh armored jacket (in red & black to match my R3, of course) for $35 and a brand-new pair of Alpinestar vented boots for $138, which is at least $100 less than the online stores. I had a pair of Joe Rocket vented gloves that I've had for at least five years.

As you know, you can sink huge amounts of cash into gear, but if you're a little patient, you can get real bargains on ebay. Your dealer will tell you that it's a good idea to buy from them so you can get a "proper fit", but I bought everything on ebay based on the regular clothing sizes I wear and everything fit fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.