Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
First of all, I don't care about the steering lock. If someone wants to steal the bike they'll kick the bar and it'll snap easily. **** you can even just use your arm to snap it, its f###ing useless unless you're using it to stop the bars turning when parked with strong winds etc.

But there is a clause in my insurance policy that states if my bars aren't locked then I'm not covered for theft protection.

How can I modify the steering lock so it can engage without the bars being at factory-full-lock?

·
Super Moderator
1,212 Posts
It may you have to decide on one or the other. The whole idea of installing a 'steering stop' is to limit the range of steering to help prevent the possibility of tank slap. As you said, the steering lock will only deter the 'honest/lazy' thief... but it does that. And who's to say how that smart thief stole your locked-up bike? Maybe they had a 'master key' for that flimsy steering lock? Since I'd never want to argue about an insurance claim, I always lock my bike's steering when I park it... That's my story and I'm sticking to it.. :whistle:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The steering stop is there so I can move the bars forward to actually fit on the bike. It's made for midgets. I can't remove it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts