Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I wrapped my heel guards with carbon fiber vinyl. i hated having the big, obnoxious, silver heel guards in the middle of the bike. They're so much more subtle now. I used 3m 1080 vinyl, and it took me probably 20 minutes to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, they were on pretty tight. I use hex bits which I can put in a screwdriver or a ratchet. I happened to already be using the ratchet when I did this, so I don't know if I could have gotten it with a screwdriver or a regular allen key.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow! That looks awesome! I like your idea! I'll consider doing my own vinyl wrap project as well but will probably seek some professional help from Gatowraps and Gatorprints

·
Registered
59 Posts
How is the vinyl wrap holding up? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just a thought...find a used set on EBay. Send them out for powder coating then swap them out. Remove and replace one time with a much more durable end product. Definitely do this with a hex on a ratchet. How I approached this anyway

·
Registered
2017 Yamaha YZF-R3A
53 Posts
I tried doing this and I stripped my the Allen screw, the factory tightened it so much... failed hard core
Yea, I tried today also and that ** was on tight as **! Didn't want to strip them so I gave up
Stripped mine out, as well. I haven't stripped out a bolt head like that in many, many years. Rounded the inside right out with a quality hex bit socket on a long 3/8" ratchet. Was on CRAZY tight. Wound up having to drill off the head and replaced them both with new M8x30mm ti button heads after the heel guards were painted satin black.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Stripped mine out, as well. I haven't stripped out a bolt head like that in many, many years. Rounded the inside right out with a quality hex bit socket on a long 3/8" ratchet. Was on CRAZY tight. Wound up having to drill off the head and replaced them both with new M8x30mm ti button heads after the heel guards were painted satin black.

That’s hot! Got any painting tips? Spray paint? Yamaha really did us dirty with these OEM heel guards...

·
Registered
718 Posts

Looks nice. Good call on the Hindle. Did you do the kawi 650 rear spring swap?

·
Registered
2017 Yamaha YZF-R3A
53 Posts
That’s hot! Got any painting tips? Spray paint? Yamaha really did us dirty with these OEM heel guards...
Cleaned them, wiped them down with denatured alcohol then sprayed them with Krylon Fusion satin black. It shows no sign of wear or even scuffs to this point. Subtle and easy to do, and changes the look of the side of bike quite a bit in my opinion.

Looks nice. Good call on the Hindle. Did you do the kawi 650 rear spring swap?
Nope, it's stock. I'm 160 pounds with gear, and the OE shock works fine for me for now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like it. I have been looking at these aftermarket ones on amazon that have cutouts and are in different colours. Seems like a great way to maybe save weight but also make it look a heck of a lot better. There are really no reviews of them so I haven't purchased them. Maybe I will for the time being just take mine off and paint them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like it. I have been looking at these aftermarket ones on amazon that have cutouts and are in different colours. Seems like a great way to maybe save weight but also make it look a heck of a lot better. There are really no reviews of them so I haven't purchased them. Maybe I will for the time being just take mine off and paint them.
I know just the ones you’re talking about. I am personally generally not a huge fan of buying components with no brand standing behind the product. Though this is a pretty trivial addition. I’m a bit surprised there are no brand name heel guards out there. Next step up would be replacement of entire rearset, but we are talking hundreds of bucks here. The slim options for aftermarket chain guards are also frustrating, I’ve only really seen a couple OK ones.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts