Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Carrillo have offered to make some pistons for the R3. HOWEVER
They need a stock piston, a head gasket with dowel pins and either a head or a chamber mold

we need to make a minimum 12 pistons to get the price low enough would anyone be interested in getting in on this deal?
Carillo have said they will do pistons for $325 US each at 40 tho oversize and 12.5:1 or 13:1 (depending on the head/mold) that would be FORGED. This price includes basic hardware pins, lock and rings.
takes typically 4-6 weeks

Im also looking for rods, and contacting Manley for titanium valves as well.

happy to do it all thru paypal or any other suggestions to make it more legit and reliable.

anyone interested?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You are talking about a ridiculous amount of money for minimal gains.
The stock pistons cost $66 a piece, and they are forged.
You can mill .010" to .020" off the head to raise compression a bit.
Make sure the valves don't hit the pistons.
My guess is, you bump the compression and run race gas,
you might get 4hp more. Waste of time and money on a bike like the R3.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are talking about a ridiculous amount of money for minimal gains.
The stock pistons cost $66 a piece, and they are forged.
You can mill .010" to .020" off the head to raise compression a bit.
Make sure the valves don't hit the pistons.
My guess is, you bump the compression and run race gas,
you might get 4hp more. Waste of time and money on a bike like the R3.

pistons 4hp + ecu 6hp plus rods and titanium valves 2hp + cams 2hp that is 10-14hp
I dunno it might be worth it haha

regards to valv hitting pistons, that is why custom pistons have valve dents in them to facilitate higher compression but clearance of the valves

regards to the need for running race gas
the standard R3 fouls plugs on 93 american octane 98 (aussie octane) 91 American or 95 RON aussie seems to be the spot for the std tune/fuel now because the CR is too low as is. plenty of room left to come up to 13:1 that would be "street safe"

also in coming up on the compression ratio it will be 40 tho oversize so a little more displacement as well another bit of torque

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
1.) pistons 4hp + ecu 6hp plus rods and titanium valves 2hp + cams 2hp that is 10-14hp
I dunno it might be worth it haha

2.) regards to valv hitting pistons, that is why custom pistons have valve dents in them to facilitate higher compression but clearance of the valves
1. - Your math is very optimistic. LoL

2. - Are you trying to school me, son? I was building race engines before you were born.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i spoke to carillo I thought the price was a little rich. so I said if we provide all the R&D materials like piston head gasket chamber mold can we get the price down. he came down to 150 US per piston. I was quite astonished. but it does give him another shelf part for later

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Too much money to spend on hopes for me. I'd be interested to see the results though. Go for it, and be sure to post a comparison dyno curve of "before" and "after" (be sure to use the same dyno, settings, etc.) But I would be VERY surprised if you get more than like 47 hp or so out of it...and that's with a custom map on MR12. Probably about 45 at best on pump gas.

I've seen people do quite a bit of work on their ninja 300s which start at about the same power level as R3, stock, and after all of this they're still only in the low 40s for power.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Too much money to spend on hopes for me. I'd be interested to see the results though. Go for it, and be sure to post a comparison dyno curve of "before" and "after" (be sure to use the same dyno, settings, etc.) But I would be VERY surprised if you get more than like 47 hp or so out of it...and that's with a custom map on MR12. Probably about 45 at best on pump gas.

I've seen people do quite a bit of work on their ninja 300s which start at about the same power level as R3, stock, and after all of this they're still only in the low 40s for power.
if no one is willing to contribute. then I wont be contributing how well it went.
its just not fair. for me taking all the risk not getting any community support. But then you want me to be the guinea pig. ive sent them all the stuff they want and we are looking at what we can do. also contacted a sleeve company as well.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
if no one is willing to contribute. then I wont be contributing how well it went.
its just not fair. for me taking all the risk not getting any community support. But then you want me to be the guinea pig. ive sent them all the stuff they want and we are looking at what we can do. also contacted a sleeve company as well.
Well it sounded like you wanted to be the guinea pig. You're basically asking for people to do a group buy, but not many are willing to spend that much on hopes as I said. There's just no way you're going to get anywhere near a 14-hp increase unless you're going to increase the displacement by a significant amount. You also haven't mentioned yet what exactly your reasons are for this? Most people want more power, but there are 2 categories here:

1. Racers...of course we want more power, but we also have to stay within certain class limitations (displacement primarily, as well as modifications allowed)
2. Typical street riders who just want more power....but in this case the cheaper and more reliable option is to go buy another bike. In the long run it costs less to get a "next level up bike" and you'll gain easily 30+ hp for about the same cost or barely more. So not much incentive for those people to do this either.

Reactions: SpearsRacing

·
Registered
226 Posts

Most of the time the pistons are used for racing and yes a lot of racers are not willing to spend the $$$ for this improvement I am thinking a 7 to 10% increase on the pistons and the tuning our pistons will be ready in approx 2 weeks,I have several race teams that have already pre-ordered ...

the way that this "Class" is going for racing at the highest levels, pistons, machining of the cylinder or head will not be allowed(just like the FIM WSS 300 (we currently build engines for a few teams) so you need to find ways of getting RWHP our current FIM 300 ninja is getting north of 45 RWHP also no ignition flashes allowed..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts