Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! Im so glad to have found this forum and I hope someone can help me out.
i've owned a used 2016 r3 for a few weeks now and have made some minor modifications to it.

I added a yoshimura r77 slip on, and simply used it in replacement of the stock exhaust.
I removed the baffle in hopes to get it a bit louder, but it is still relatively quit, especially in traffic/on the roads.

My sisters boyfriend owns and r6, and was telling me I could remove the cat converter and put in a y pipe. I don't wanna bother him with a bunch of questions so maybe you guys can help.

1. When I cut the cat converter off, I need to keep the o2 sensor on the system, right?
2. Since its a single pipe out of the cat box, i need a straight pipe and not a Y pipe, right?
3. Any links/suggestions on a pipe that will fit this part of my exhaust system in place of the cat box?
4. Would I need anything else in addition to this process (i've heard of something called a power commander, if its needed i'd like both to be told so and a simple explanation on what it is).
5. Would it need a tune after this process? (and what exactly is a tune).

I really appreciate any answers!! Thanks so much!!! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A follow up upon inspecting and measuring my pipes.
The O2 sensor is less than an inch from the cat box weld point. I'm wondering if a cat delete would even be possible on this bike while keeping the Original O2 sensor intact.
I'm just so lost on whether or not this is something doable, and I'm trying to avoid taking it anywhere that charge me for services if I can do this in my garage.

I saw another thread with a video on removing the cat box and putting on the M4 slayer exhaust (which has an O2 sensor port on it). Would my best option be to sell my yoshi slip on for as much as I can and buying an m4 (or anything with an O2 port)??

Hey everybody! Im so glad to have found this forum and I hope someone can help me out.
i've owned a used 2016 r3 for a few weeks now and have made some minor modifications to it.

I added a yoshimura r77 slip on, and simply used it in replacement of the stock exhaust.
I removed the baffle in hopes to get it a bit louder, but it is still relatively quit, especially in traffic/on the roads.

My sisters boyfriend owns and r6, and was telling me I could remove the cat converter and put in a y pipe. I don't wanna bother him with a bunch of questions so maybe you guys can help.

1. When I cut the cat converter off, I need to keep the o2 sensor on the system, right?
2. Since its a single pipe out of the cat box, i need a straight pipe and not a Y pipe, right?
3. Any links/suggestions on a pipe that will fit this part of my exhaust system in place of the cat box?
4. Would I need anything else in addition to this process (i've heard of something called a power commander, if its needed i'd like both to be told so and a simple explanation on what it is).

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think your best option (as you stated in your second post) would be to get rid of the slip on, and buy an aftermarket exhaust. M4, and Yoshi make great systems for the R3. You will also need a fuel controller- PCV, Bazzaz zfi or an ecu tune.

Check out some of the issues with a muffler/silencer delete here:
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/546-exhaust-fuel-delivery/4689-diy-exhaust-modification-thread.html#/topics/4689?page=1

Yamahar3racing.com is a great source to check out and buy fuel controller options and exhaust. There are also some great writeups on how to install everything

·
Registered
538 Posts

If you are modifying the stock system and flash the ecu then there is no need to keep the stock 02 sensor. The flash is the best way to maximise the engine performance after modifying the exhaust system.
You are correct in saying that you need a straight pipe not a y pipe. If you are just looking to make noise then save your money and just drill holes in the stock pipe.
If you are looking for sound and performance I would shop all the brand's Akro, and Graves are the best quality but in most cases are more expensive than Tosh or M4.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
If you are modifying the stock system and flash the ecu then there is no need to keep the stock 02 sensor. The flash is the best way to maximise the engine performance after modifying the exhaust system.
You are correct in saying that you need a straight pipe not a y pipe. If you are just looking to make noise then save your money and just drill holes in the stock pipe.
If you are looking for sound and performance I would shop all the brand's Akro, and Graves are the best quality but in most cases are more expensive than Tosh or M4.

Some things I’ve wondered about before. An ecu flash sounds to be the best, but would a rider that rides through different climates and environments be better off with a PCV and auto tune? Doesn’t altitude and air temp have an effect on AFR?

I have a slip on Akra, and was chasing weight savings while still trying to balance a system that wasn’t too loud. I commute with the bike as well, so I can’t have a loud bike, because the courteous thing to do is to be respectful of neighbors. Back in the states not everyone thinks the same, and back then in San Diego I ran a full 2BR on my Ninja . That thing got annoying after a while, both to neighbors and to myself.

Loud exhausts are cool and all but remember there is a balance and you are going to want to protect your hearing as well. As for the Akra, it’s starting to develope stains, and I am not sure what would be the best solution to buff them out without damage to the exhaust. My stock headers are completely rusted and I should probably try and find some clean stock ones and spray them with some high heat paint, which won’t solve the rust on the nuts/bolts themselves.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Some things I’ve wondered about before. An ecu flash sounds to be the best, but would a rider that rides through different climates and environments be better off with a PCV and auto tune? Doesn’t altitude and air temp have an effect on AFR?

I have a slip on Akra, and was chasing weight savings while still trying to balance a system that wasn’t too loud. I commute with the bike as well, so I can’t have a loud bike, because the courteous thing to do is to be respectful of neighbors. Back in the states not everyone thinks the same, and back then in San Diego I ran a full 2BR on my Ninja . That thing got annoying after a while, both to neighbors and to myself.

Loud exhausts are cool and all but remember there is a balance and you are going to want to protect your hearing as well. As for the Akra, it’s starting to develope stains, and I am not sure what would be the best solution to buff them out without damage to the exhaust. My stock headers are completely rusted and I should probably try and find some clean stock ones and spray them with some high heat paint, which won’t solve the rust on the nuts/bolts themselves.
New from Graves
https://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-kzkjoi5srf/products/15332/images/2866/Graves--Yamaha-R3-LINK-Cat-Eliminator-Exhaust__43630.1515019887.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

·
Registered
20 Posts
I swapped my stock exhaust for a set of header pipes and an M4 GP muffler. It was crazy loud. So I bought a cheap baffle off of Ebay to slip inside the muffler. It's still too loud for my liking, but much better than it was. Nothing I can do about the noise at this point. I'm sure not gonna put that boat anchor CAT back on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts