Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks!
So a few months ago I made the terrible decision of buying a cheap Chinesium full system for my little rocket and whilst I liked having some extra growl to it, she popped and crackled like Rice Bubbles on meth. I then decided to buy a Coffman Shorty slip on and re-used the stock exhaust setup with it. Now she sounds better but is still a lot more quiet than I would like (I know, small bikes and all that) but I am hoping to find a cat-free pipe that will still fit with my slip on. I know M4 and Yoshi make full systems with a cat delete but I really don't want to fork out another fortune on a full system especially since the Coffman looks great and fits my A E S T H E T I C. Any ideas of link pipes that would work would be much appreciated, or I might even look into fabrication my own.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey folks!
So a few months ago I made the terrible decision of buying a cheap Chinesium full system for my little rocket and whilst I liked having some extra growl to it, she popped and crackled like Rice Bubbles on meth. I then decided to buy a Coffman Shorty slip on and re-used the stock exhaust setup with it. Now she sounds better but is still a lot more quiet than I would like (I know, small bikes and all that) but I am hoping to find a cat-free pipe that will still fit with my slip on. I know M4 and Yoshi make full systems with a cat delete but I really don't want to fork out another fortune on a full system especially since the Coffman looks great and fits my A E S T H E T I C. Any ideas of link pipes that would work would be much appreciated, or I might even look into fabrication my own.

You will get the 'crackled like rice bubbles on meth' with any cat delete. To get rid of that, you need to do the block off plate and a flash to turn off the o2 sensor. Both mods are a must IMHO (along with the cat delete exhaust) Do a little searching on the site...tons of great information on both.....

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Marshdrummer is dead on...You can do any additional exhaust work you like. But after the CAT is removed, you'll need to address the air/fuel system per the ECU on the R3. Any number of options are available, but the bike will not run properly until these systems are addressed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the feedback, I went ahead and bought a block of plate and gonna book her in for a tuning. The thing I really need though is a pipe from the headers to where the stock exhaust end chamber normally connects, since I bought a standard slip on I want a pipe that allows me to re-use that. Does such a pipe exist or am I going to have to fashion something up myself?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I appreciate the feedback, I went ahead and bought a block of plate and gonna book her in for a tuning. The thing I really need though is a pipe from the headers to where the stock exhaust end chamber normally connects, since I bought a standard slip on I want a pipe that allows me to re-use that. Does such a pipe exist or am I going to have to fashion something up myself?
As last I looked (about a year ago), you have 3 options - full exhaust, graves 3/4 slip on (deletes cat), or M4 street slayer (deletes cat). M4 and Graves, you will have to cut the stock headers to fit. Easy job with a sazall or chop saw with metal blade. Exahust, block off and flash will really wake the bike up.

I have the M4 and love it. You can run with or without a silencer. without is a nice grumble, but IMHO, not too loud. I cannot speak for the Graves. Again, do a search and you will find a ton of info on all....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts