Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I changed my stock exhaust to a full system Akrapovic exhaust and the catback was removed as well. I was out with my friends and one of them was saying that having the cat delete may cause backfire and is harmful to the engine.

My bike always backfire whenever I shift up when I ride. It gives this pop sound most of the time. Will it be harmful to my engine? What can I do to make it better if it is?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Remove AIS, install block off plates, pc5 and get it dyno tuned.

·
Registered
542 Posts
What he said. It's the only way to do it properly. You can skip the dyno tune if you can find a good map for the pcv,but dyno tuning will still help.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You aren't going to do any damage to the engine. The riders in Yamaha R3 cup here in Australia all use a full system akrapovic without a pcv or any other aftermarket fuel controller with a standard ecu and no tune. They do use a block off plate which decreases the popping.
**To get the best results from your exhaust it will require a dyno tune

·
Registered
103 Posts
Read this: http://forum.motorcycle-usa.com/default.aspx?f=18&m=398516

It's not backfiring. It's called Popping and The reason why it is POPPING is due to the fuel to air mix in your combustion chamber. Install an upgraded air filter (K&N or similar that is HI-FLOW).

Your full system akrapovic is designed to increase your fuel to air ratio by promoting more fuel to enter the chamber to burn hotter. You need a hi-flow air filter to correct the popping and bring the mix back equally.
You can get a K&N air filter for $100 compared to a Installing a block off plate, REMOVE AIS, and getting it dyno'd.
I had noticed mine popping after getting the full system, installed the air filter. No popping anymore.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you. What IF my full exhaust is an Indonesian Grade A replica?

Will it be the same if it was an original full system installed?

I heard it is those popping sound but sometimes when I rev it to red line and shifts, the pop sound is really loud and there is some flame also. Is that backfire?

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Without seeing it/hearing it, I cannot tell you to be sure, however, i don't think it would matter even if it is a grade a replica.

Mine pops fairly Loud aswell, but I don't think it shoots a flame out the back. I'm not too sure sorry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys. I changed my stock exhaust to a full system Akrapovic exhaust and the catback was removed as well. I was out with my friends and one of them was saying that having the cat delete may cause backfire and is harmful to the engine.

My bike always backfire whenever I shift up when I ride. It gives this pop sound most of the time. Will it be harmful to my engine? What can I do to make it better if it is?
Get a Graves AIS block off plate and make sure you add a fuel management system

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, but why do we need a fuel management system? Is it because you've read someone else saying the same thing who heard it from someone else etc...? Or do you speak from experience?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have link of the AIS block off plate? and what is a fuel management system? do you have a photo or link of it too? how do I add that? sorry for being a total noob.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yes, but why do we need a fuel management system? Is it because you've read someone else saying the same thing who heard it from someone else etc...? Or do you speak from experience?
Concur with the fella's recommendations. Why is a PC5 needed, or a fuel management system in general? As the R3 is fuel injected, it will need a power commander. When you change your exhaust, you're changing your air flow. When the flow changes you must change the gas flow to gain the correct mixture which evens the air and fuel mix so they work together optimally.

Also, I'd recommend 86ing the crappy stock air filter. Get a BMC. Period.

A block off plate is integral once you add a full exhaust system too. There are several of them. I have a Driven, and it came with a nice cap for the hose. The stock clamp won't fit the cap on the solenoid hose so, you'll have to safety wire (and zip tie it like I did). The STG video shows this in the install. There are several available from again, Driven, but also Spears, They're all basically the same, but the included accessory parts is how each kit basically differs outside of colors.

Driven Block Off Plate

Spears Block Off Plate (Scroll down about 8 items to the plate.)

Graves Block Off Plate

The R3 forums own @jbluetooth (Jesse) is a vendor and he fabs a block off plate too.
NortonFab BlockOffPlate (www.yamahar3racing.com)

Don't quote me, but as a forum member, you might get a discount. Doesn't hurt to ask...or beg.;)

That "quadfecta" of parts and upgrades is a great, if not one of the best and easiest ways to improve your bike's looks, sound, weight, performance, bhp, etc. Upgrading to SS brake liens helps braking, which is important, as it improves your bike's safety, and that is a great upgrade, and same goes for upgrading the suspension. Those are arguably more important since it is predicated on safety, but those 4 items are usually the most common first upgrades methinks. Making your bike look better and getting rid of the butt ugly fender, stock signals, etc is enticing, but if you have the loot, jumping on a full exhaust, air filter, fuel management, and block off plate is at the top of my upgrade list.

Helpful Install videos:

Driven Block Off Plate install on a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3 from Sportbiketrackgear.com

Yamaha R3 Power Commander V Fuel Controller Installation from HardRacing.com

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have link of the AIS block off plate? and what is a fuel management system? do you have a photo or link of it too? how do I add that? sorry for being a total noob.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Dude, did you bother to read my post before your previous reply? I know it's long, but it contains the information you are asking the other guy, and other pertinent and important information.:) As a newer rider, it'd help you to understand the importance of the block off plate, and adding a FMS like a PC5.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dude, did you bother to read my post before your previous reply? I know it's long, but it contains the information you are asking the other guy, and other pertinent and important information.:) As a newer rider, it'd help you to understand the importance of the block off plate, and adding a FMS like a PC5.
hey man. I didn't notice that you replied. Haha sorry the internet was really bad at work. Now I am back home and I can read all. Thanks!

·
Registered
732 Posts
hey man. I didn't notice that you replied. Haha sorry the internet was really bad at work. Now I am back home and I can read all. Thanks!
Haha, it's all good. I was like, ****, I spent all that time on providing that info and it was totally blown off. WTF! All the Block Off Plates are basically the same piece of machined aluminum. Again, they pretty much differ in their little extra parts to seal off the hose.

Of course, NortonFab is a board vendor member, and a small business owned by @jbluetooth, so if you want to support the "little guy," go shop at www.yamahar3racing.com. I have bought from Jesse, and he's been a great vendor and extremely helpful, but am I no way affiliated with Jesse in the business sense. Just friendly with him, and I like supporting small business, but most of these vendors are relatively small in the corporate size sense. Spears, Graves, Driven, etc are bigger firms, but by no means are they a Google, Microsoft, etc. Jesse is a single man operation though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha no worries about it. I wanted to buy some stuffs previously from yamahar3racing however, I'm from a far away small unknown country called Brunei Darussalam, and they don't ship to my country unfortunately. Haha so i had to source things out elsewhere.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Haha no worries about it. I wanted to buy some stuffs previously from yamahar3racing however, I'm from a far away small unknown country called Brunei Darussalam, and they don't ship to my country unfortunately. Haha so i had to source things out elsewhere.
I wouldn't call it "unknown." Unlike most Americans, or many Americans rather, I know my geography. Had to study it assiduously in prep school, and also being in the military for 8 years, and traveling, and memorizing the thousands of enemy and friendly vehicles so you know what to kill/no kill helped.

Well, Malaysia is nearby and is a huge bastion for motorsports, is it not? MotoGP has a big race there, and there are several Malaysian OEMs/ODMs, and resellers of motorcycle parts. Thailand has a lot too, which would be a good source, besides Japan. I'm a half-Japanese Native New Yorker.

Here are a few reputable online resellers

Tyga Performance (Thailand)

Bikerz Bits (Thailand)

japan.webike.net
(Umm, Japan obviously:))

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh sweet. Thanks for sharing those links with me. I do not really know much shops as well around my country. The most I know of are shops from Indonesia but most of their products are replicas and their shipping cost to my country is ridiculous even though it is not that far.

Ahhh coool that makes sense your username is robotninja. Haha i am kidding, not being racist here :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts