·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they state its primarily because of the euro4 regs:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/june/honda-cbr600rr-killed-off/

they also talk about some uncertainty for the rest of the 600 SS bikes

truimphs daytona moving up to a 765cc in the future :eek:

edit: the cbr is being killed off in europe for sure not sure if they have confirmed the same for north america

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Hate to say it but told ya so!!! Motorcycle engines will be slaughtered by Euro noise regulations. That means larger engines, lower revs, less noise, and heavier bikes. So depends on what each manuf wants to do, make a global bike, or keep certain bikes for USA. Unfortunately we already know what they do for money, see Honda 500 series.

·
Registered
732 Posts
That would be a mistake. The CBR600RR was one of my favorite bikes. I had a 92 FZR600 from 95-05, and a 2004 CBR600RR from 2005-2015. I loved both bikes. Decided to "downgrade" to an R3 as I have gotten older. I do miss the 600's giddy up, but after adding a full Akrapovic, PC5, and other mods, I have felt a little more power. I am loving the R3 and will stay on it for the time being but I could see myself go back to an Inline4 600 or maybe a P-Twin 500.

I love the RR and might go back to it, but the stance it quite harsh. I'd more likely go to the FZ600R. Other bikes like the Ninja650 and CBR650 haven't found their niche yet methinks. That is, they're kind of in between categories and not in a psecific category. They're not a naked sport and not a full blown sport bike. I think some have resisted adopting them. But it has been a smart move for bike companies to expand their lineups and categories of bikes. I think eventually people will want more hybrid type bikes that mix comfort with performance. I have always resisted the CC wars and have plenty of friends who say 1000's plus or die. I am not one of those types, not is anybody who buys an R3 whether a beginner or seasoned rider.

If I do not get an FZ600R or CBR650R, I'd probably go R6. Ideally, my garage will have an R3, a Triumph or Ducati Scrambler, and another bike like an XT250 and/or perhaps an R6. Can never have too may bikes. In NYC, I see CBR600RR's and ZX-6Rs everywhere-they're the dominant bike next to Gixer 750s, but that is my anecdotal evidence from my experience. I think it would be huge mistake for Honda to 86 any bike in their lineup. They have probably the richest and most complete lineup of any bike manufacturer out there. I have always been a Honda and Yamaha guy and would be hugely disappointed in Honda.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If its being retired in the US, id be surprised. The prices will probably go up on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IIRC, there is speculation they will continue to make the current model with no updates until it is no longer profitable then they will kill it off. The issue is they do not see it being worth bringing the bike up to code in Europe. Since that isn't an issue here, they may work around here.

They will for sure sell off stock so that gives people another couple years before these are completely gone.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm guessing sales are really slow on the CBR600RR. Sales are also slow on the CBR1000RR.
The literbike class is being dominated by the latest tech. Riders seem to want the new R1, s1000rr, or the ZX10R.
Those bikes also seem to be winning the shootout-wars in all the various moto-publications, which no doubt peaks interest and helps sales.
The Honda and Suzuki offerings are left in the dust. UNTIL........ 2017.
There is a new GSXR1000 for 2017, and also a new Honda FIREBLADE. There is rumor of a brand new Honda V4 superbike as well.
Suzuki has already let the cat out of the bag on their new literbike, but HONDA is keeping a tight lid on the new Fireblade.
No pictures, no info yet.
Will Honda go BIG this time around? Or will it be another minor incremental upgrade. I expect to find out by September.

There has been a rumor floating around for awhile about a 800 Triumph sportbike. Daytona 800R, Street Triple 800R.
This would be great if the new Euro4 regs don't kill it. Triumph should make a version of the new 800 bikes specifically for the USA market.
UNcork them! The "Yanks" need POWAH!

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
Street Triple 800 sounds interesting, but no way am I dishing out for a first year Triumph model.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Street Triple 800 sounds interesting, but no way am I dishing out for a first year Triumph model.
Yeah, Triumph is too expensive.
My CBR1000RR was $4,000 LESS than a new Daytona 675R.

NO WAY am I paying $4,000 more to get LESS bike. Not gonna happen. Ever.
:|

·
Registered
732 Posts

YEs, which is why I have always been a Honda and Yamaha owner even though I like Ducati's and Triumphs. Just can't justify it. I can spend that money on part upgrades which would make me much happier. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
There is a new GSXR1000 for 2017, and also a new Honda FIREBLADE. There is rumor of a brand new Honda V4 superbike as well.
Suzuki has already let the cat out of the bag on their new literbike, but HONDA is keeping a tight lid on the new Fireblade.

Ive been watching for the v4 honda. Thought somebody would have done it already after aprilia did it. Either way, i want to see a better fireblade. Id like to see nicky do better in wsbk. His current bike is severely outdated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hate to say it but told ya so!!! Motorcycle engines will be slaughtered by Euro noise regulations. That means larger engines, lower revs, less noise, and heavier bikes. So depends on what each manuf wants to do, make a global bike, or keep certain bikes for USA. Unfortunately we already know what they do for money, see Honda 500 series.
agreed, and the real shame i that the 600rr is a great bike. I've ridden several over the years, and almost went with the cbr500 because of the 600rr. Then I rode an R3 and "saw the light"

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
i want to see a better fireblade.
See... I don't.
Because my 2012 Fireblade is perfect. For ME.
What can Honda do to improve it? More power? I don't need that!
Electronic rider aids? I don't need that either!
Looks? I am 100% happy with the way my Fireblade looks.

So I don't really care what the 2017 `Blade looks like. I'm not buying one.
I do hope Honda makes a bold statement with it. It is the 25th anniversary, after all.
:D

·
Registered
330 Posts

MSRP on the Daytona 675R is equal to the MSRP on a CBR1000RR, non Repsol.

So if you paid $4000 less than a 675R, you paid $10,000 for a CBR1000RR which means you got a great deal on a bike and/or bought a year model older.

And you are part of a minority who thinks the Daytona is a lesser bike to the CBR1000RR. There is more to a bike than what size engine is in it.

The Daytona is expensive, yes, but it's a **** of a bike. Have you ever ridden one? It's my second favorite bike and I had a really hard time deciding to get my S1000RR over it.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
1.) MSRP on the Daytona 675R is equal to the MSRP on a CBR1000RR, non Repsol.

2.) So if you paid $4000 less than a 675R, you paid $10,000 for a CBR1000RR which means you got a great deal on a bike and/or bought a year model older.

3.) And you are part of a minority who thinks the Daytona is a lesser bike to the CBR1000RR. There is more to a bike than what size engine is in it.

4.) The Daytona is expensive, yes, but it's a **** of a bike. Have you ever ridden one? It's my second favorite bike and I had a really hard time deciding to get my S1000RR over it.
1. - I get tired of saying it, but MSRP means NOTHING. The true cost is what you pay for the bike when you actually GO to the dealer. You can get a CBR cheaper than you can get a Triumph. Because, dealers will deal on a CBR. Triumph dealers typically do not budge on the price of a Triumph. CBR's are everywhere. Triumph is a lower-production niche market.

2. - BiNGO! CycleCruza also got his Fireblade for the same price. It was a leftover model when I got it, and the dealer was matching the "Honda Bonus Bucks" program at the time. Honda had $1,500 in BonusBucks on the Fireblade, which the dealer matched. The MSRP at the time was $13,500. They sold it to me for $10,000 plus tax, title, and license. It was around $11k OTD. You can't touch a new Daytona 675R OTD for less than $15k.

3. - No kidding. I am talking about the whole "package". The whole package on the Fireblade is better than the 675R. The only thing the 675R has over the Fireblade is it weighs a little LESS. Big deal. So it's more flickable. I'll take TORQUE over "flickable" anyday. But that's just ME.

4. - NO, I have not had the chance to ride a 675R. I know they are great bikes. I don't have anything bad to say about it, except the "pricetag". If I wanted a mid-sized sportbike from Europe, it would be my first choice. SpaceP0d just got one, and he loves it. If the PRICE was exactly equal on both bikes, I would still choose the Fireblade ALL DAY LONG. It's more bike, for the money. But when you factor-in the significant price difference, the CBR wins hands down. I am not a fan of 600-class bikes anyway. No need to try and debate me over this. It's just MY personal preference!

:nerd:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
if new fireblade comes with a v4 poeple gonna be like ..
I heard that hayden chose honda for wsbk was because of the new fireblade being developed
TRUE.... and TRUE.

There is a rumor that the new FIREBLADE will be a V4.
Which will anger me, because then I will want one. :|

There is ALSO a rumor that Honda is going to introduce a NEW V4 superbike in addition to a NEW updated CBR1000RR.
The CBR is supposed to stay an inline-4.

We should find out something by Sept-Oct of this year.
Honda has a track record of playing it SAFE. But they are also overdue to bring out something strong. The s1000rr and new R1 is getting all the attention right now. The "literbike" segment of HONDA is very small in comparison to everything else they sell. Honda may not want to invest heavily in a segment of the market that is small, and flooded with competition. So WHO KNOWS what will happen. It will be interesting to see which way they go, when the cat finally comes out of the bag.

·
Registered
856 Posts

I am talking about the whole "package". The whole package on the Fireblade is better than the 675R.

4. - NO, I have not had the chance to ride a 675R.

CycleCruza

Thats a giant brown sandwich there^
Are you sure you aint that muppet?
because Surely he cant be breeding?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts