Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my chain is pretty worn out and its about time to replace it my question is how do you count the link? It says R3 needs 114 link does it mean 114+ master link or 113+ master link = 114 links?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
So my chain is pretty worn out and its about time to replace it my question is how do you count the link? It says R3 needs 114 link does it mean 114+ master link or 113+ master link = 114 links?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
114 total

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
Aren't chains always an even number of links, unless you get one of those funky stepped links?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now you've done it, just made it more confusing for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
It's 112 total for sure, so if one of them is a master link, then it's 111 regular links + 1 master link. Let me know if you order a chain and it's all wrong, so we know for next time. ;-)

How many miles/km are you at, that you need a new chain.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Just buy a longer chain ( 116 links ) and then cut it down to the correct size when you install it.
You can move the wheel forward in the axle block, then lock it down. Next, wrap the chain around
the sprockets and see where it comes together. Cut it, leaving 1 or two extra links.
Then slide the master on it, but don't lock it in. Loosen the axle nut, and slide the wheel back
until it's at the correct slack. If you had to slide it back too far, remove one more link, and check it again.
Once you have the optimal length, install the master link and rivet that sucker on.
ALWAYS CHANGE BOTH SPROCKETS when you do a new chain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts