Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live a long gravel/dirt road, about 1/2 mile long. Is there something I can keep on the chain that will repel or at least try to repel dirt and dust.
Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
389 Posts
DuPont Chain Saver. Available at Walmart. Cleans, protects, lubricants.

Reactions: Jinx

·
Registered
54 Posts
The only thing I'd recommend more routine chain maintenance, and if necessary using DuPont Degreaser and a grunge brush to clean the chain before lubing it. +1 to DuPont Chain Saver; you can buy all of this off Amazon, and it's the cheapest and most efficient way to maintain your chain. If you don't have a rear stand, get one as well since it makes chain maintenance much easier.

If you're looking for something beyond the norm, search for Scottoiler and other automatic motorcycle chain oilers. I don't hear of people mounting them on sportbikes, but you can easily find installations on the internet for dual-adventure and adventure-touring bikes to keep the chain relatively cleaner on those types of terrain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
389 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
The only thing I'd recommend more routine chain maintenance, and if necessary using DuPont Degreaser and a grunge brush to clean the chain before lubing it. +1 to DuPont Chain Saver; you can buy all of this off Amazon, and it's the cheapest and most efficient way to maintain your chain. If you don't have a rear stand, get one as well since it makes chain maintenance much easier.

If you're looking for something beyond the norm, search for Scottoiler and other automatic motorcycle chain oilers. I don't hear of people mounting them on sportbikes, but you can easily find installations on the internet for dual-adventure and adventure-touring bikes to keep the chain relatively cleaner on those types of terrain.

No grunge brush for me, DuPont cleans as it lubes. If I use anything to clean its kerosene and a soft bristle paint brush. Orings are delicate so no grunge brush for me.

Reactions: Gizmo

·
Registered
54 Posts
No grunge brush for me, DuPont cleans as it lubes. If I use anything to clean its kerosene and a soft bristle paint brush. Orings are delicate so no grunge brush for me.
Grunge brush advertises itself as o-ring safe, and enough people online have attested to it being compatible with o-ring chains that I trust it.

For the most part, DuPont Chain Saver does a good job of keeping the chain clean while lubing it, but it's still not as effective at cleaning as kerosene or DuPont Degreaser in my opinion. And while kerosene is cheaper and more readily available to purchase, the nice thing about DuPont Degreaser is that it comes in ready in a spray form, has a more pleasant smell, and is biodegradable so I don't worry if it gets on the floor, etc.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Each to his own, but I know my soft bristle paint brush will not tear up the orings and placing a old towel under chain on floor catches the excess kerosene. A gallon of Kerosene last me Mabee 12000-15000 miles and cost $5.00. Main thing though is proper chain maintence pays for itself in the long run.

Reactions: Gizmo and Jinx
1 - 10 of 10 Posts