Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok dumb question the R3 states that the chain has 112 link, now if I buy a new chain that is of the same no. of link 112 do I still need to PBR the chain or do I just remove the rear wheel and install the new chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You need a chain breaker/rivet tool. The master-link will need to be riveted on. You don't need to remove the wheel, unless you are doing sprockets. You typically replace the chain and sprockets together as a set.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree that rivet is best, but you can use a clip master link on a 520 chain. Those of us running 415 chain just clip the link - no issues. Definitely keep the rear wheel on as it makes clipping/riveting easier by holding the chain in place for you. Just push the wheel forward to provide sufficient slack.

·
Registered
65 Posts
And if you buy a chain tool, don't cheap out and buy a $20 one off Amazon. You'll spend more time fixing the tool than fixing the chain.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
And if you buy a chain tool, don't cheap out and buy a $20 one off Amazon. You'll spend more time fixing the tool than fixing the chain.
TRUTH.

I got a MotionPro PBR tool. It's very good quality. Don't "cheap-out" on your tools.

·
Registered
732 Posts
TRUTH.

I got a MotionPro PBR tool. It's very good quality. Don't "cheap-out" on your tools.
Yeah, I agree. Those cheap ones will break or eff up your chain, and you end up spending the same amount of money getting a second kit and wasting time. I agree with @CBRpilot-I like MotionPro stuff, and RK also has a nice chain break/rivet kit. Comes down to personal choice.

If you're replacing the chain and sprocket, @SpearsRacing has a deal on titanium parts-rear sprocket studs, rear sprocket nuts, and also caliper and rotor bolts for a killer deal. If you pair those Spears titanium parts with a nice Driven or Vortex sprocket set with DID or EK chains, you'll reduce weight and improve acceleration. That is unless you're going for a conversion off of 520 pitch. I'm staying with 520. @jbluetooth Jesse has some nice YR3Racing ODM sprockets and carries the aforementioned brands as well.

Here's a cool sprocket drive ratio chart to show the bike's performance "leaning" from the ratio

1 - 6 of 6 Posts