Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if its the chain or sprockets being cheap but my chain makes a ton of noise after 20k kms but this is all with in 5 months. I ride it hard and clean and lube almost twice a week. I also adj the chain once a week. I am on my last 2 lines of the adj markings..

Right now the chain is adj right and when I turn off the throttle it seems like there is a tight spot in the chain which it does not really look like there is.

Any ideas? I may just jump to the 415 chain and sprocket combo but I am not sure if the 18tooth sprocket will fit where the 14 tooth is now..

http://www.yamahar3racing.com/product/415-drive-chain-conversion-kit-yamaha-r3-2015/

Any ideas if this will all fit? Also can I install the chain my self?

·
Registered
542 Posts
18 tooth will fit because the sprocket is smaller in diameter. Chain life on the 415 will be worse, so I don't recommend it with the mileage you ride. It is a very light chain and sacrifices durability for weight.

Have you cleaned out the front sprocket area? Take off the cover and go to town. There's usually a ton of crap in there which could be contributing to the tightness or the noise.

Replacing the chain is not that hard, but you will need a chain breaker and a riveting tool if you use a rivet master clip. Itll probably take 2 or 3 hours to do your first one. Sportbike track gear (pretty sure it is stg) has a quality video on YouTube on chain replacement.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not worried about how long it will last since the bike it self will be sold in next few months for a new bike. I clean the bike on the reg at every area also. it is perfectly clean at the front sprocket. Even if I can get a lightened rear sprocket I might go that route

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
always looking to improve performance.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Meh, if it's going to be sold within a few months (even if you're looking to improve performance), I wouldn't bother.

That money you spend now can go towards improving your newer bike.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well at high revs in 1,2,3 if I keep constant speed it surges when riding.. the rpm gauge flutters like it has some sort of drag.. I hope it's not engine related since its pretty much new.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Don't go the 415 route. For a road bike it just isn't a good idea. Get a 520 chain and new sprockets. I am betting your chain may have some tight spots, which is common for chains to have after awhile. Plus sprockets also get worn out. Check to see if you are getting the shark fin look on them.

As for why you would/should do it, because it is the right thing to do! I am betting the next buyer will be a new rider and will not know what they are looking at with the chain. Unless you are going to tell them they will need a new chain, just replace it yourself.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the chain might not be the problem. When the bike is under load at low gears is surges bad... Like Rev flutters around 400+/- up and down real bad like a bent drive shaft or something only feel it under load. Should be under warranty I hope

1 - 10 of 10 Posts