Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after going for a ride yesterday and feeling my bike a little more sluggish I decided to check tire pressure and chain tension.

I'm new to any type of maintenance on the bike but it seems like the top chain shouldn't be resting on the guard like that. The bottom part also easily touches the top if I push up. Is this fine or should I take it in for a chain adjustment? Also, is it okay to drive ~20 miles to the shop on the bike? Had the 600 mi. first service done and currently sits at 1600. Pardon my ignorance folks.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Your chain is fine. It should rest on the top and should touch the swing arm when you push up. Sluggish bike feeling was probably mental, it was not your chain.

Reactions: Roski and Gizmo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Deddie! Definitely eased my concerns. Running to my local shop to buy a chain cleaner. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I always use Motul. Costs more, but works well and the smell is not toxic.

Reactions: Roski

·
Registered
140 Posts
I use kerosene and a nylon bristle grunge brush to clean my chain.

Yes, the smell is kind of pervasive but the kerosene is a great solvent and is very o-ring friendly. Not to mention its quite cheap and easy to find, rather than spending craploads of money on fancy spray can stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I've been using this stuff and it works well but holy schnikes, does it smell.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FJAMUBM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I clean my chain out in the driveway but when I put the bike away in the garage, it's not long before the whole freaking house smells. Honestly, it's probably just very expensive kerosene in an aerosol can. LOL

I need to get into the habit of cleaning/lubing in the AM, ride, and then put it away in the evening. The wife is none too happy about the smell is brings into the house.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Your chain is fine. It should rest on the top and should touch the swing arm when you push up. Sluggish bike feeling was probably mental, it was not your chain.
Page 6-22 & 6-23 in the manual talks about measuring slack and making necessary adjustments...

So if you can push your chain all the way up to the swing arm do you just push down on your chain an measure from the bottom of the swing arm to the chain to get a accurate measurement?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts