Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my bike brand new (1 mile on it) and today I noticed the the OIL indicator came on, telling me that I am supposed to change the oil. I'm only at 250 miles, what gives? The owner's manual says it should go on at 600 mi, then every 5000 mi after that. Does it work on time also?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll get a picture of it and post. Basically it just says OIL on the control panel, which I read is the indicator to change the oil.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I got mine changed at 500km (310miles) as it was on the Yamaha service card. There's no harm in changing the factory oil and filter early as there's lots of metal bits and shavings that end up in the oil when running in the new engine. My next service will be 2000km, and I'm currently still running on non-synthetic oil till then and will switch to full-synthetic there on after.

Reactions: Hpintojr

·
Registered
61 Posts
Its my understanding that if it says "OIL" and then has TRIP XXXXmi/km thats the "Oil Change Trip Meter" and it will flash the oil word when it needs to be changed. When you get oil changed you reset that and it will let you know the next time to get it done also. (4-2 in Manual)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes for the break in period your suppose to change your oil at 300mil then 600miles after that I do every 3k. I'm at 3119 miles and I have already done 4 oil changes myself. Highly recommended, I change it as often as possible as I tend to ride my bike hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts