Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So maybe its just me but I have scoured the forums to see if anyone else had some changes to their R3 after the recall fix. Something I have definitively noticed is the pitch of the bike which sounds beefier. I know its an R3 and the bike is never going to sound like an R1 but when giving it throttle I hear the engine noise a lot more with a deeper sound to it. Additionally, the torque at low gears and RPM seems to be a bit better. Anyone else notice these minor changes or is it just me?

I asked the dealership if I could have a copy of the work done and they said they could not produce it so I am not sure exactly what was done. Maybe I should call Yamaha because paperwork would be nice to keep track of work done on the bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took two weeks due to having to order the parts from Yamaha. So one week wait with another weeks worth of repair when they got the parts.

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
Something I have definitively noticed is the pitch of the bike which sounds beefier (...) when giving it throttle I hear the engine noise a lot more with a deeper sound to it. Additionally, the torque at low gears and RPM seems to be a bit better. Anyone else notice these minor changes or is it just me?
I think you're doing that thing where people notice things only after they start intentionally observing. All they did was pop the clutch cover and swap the oil pump and clutch bearing stuff.

·
Registered
326 Posts
A week to do 2 hours worth of work?!

Reactions: Tintin

·
Registered
164 Posts
So maybe its just me but I have scoured the forums to see if anyone else had some changes to their R3 after the recall fix. Something I have definitively noticed is the pitch of the bike which sounds beefier. I know its an R3 and the bike is never going to sound like an R1 but when giving it throttle I hear the engine noise a lot more with a deeper sound to it. Additionally, the torque at low gears and RPM seems to be a bit better. Anyone else notice these minor changes or is it just me?

I asked the dealership if I could have a copy of the work done and they said they could not produce it so I am not sure exactly what was done. Maybe I should call Yamaha because paperwork would be nice to keep track of work done on the bike.
Placebo. Same little sweetheart.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have experienced a similar effect several times after working on fixing/upgrading something on my '94 Trans Am that stretches a week or few. The beast *feels* better in places that probably weren't impacted - just enjoy that pent up love and wring the throttle out as you smile. :)

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I definitely felt and heard nothing different about the bike at all. It's all probably in your head. Was shifting smoother? Not really. More hp? lol definitely not. Better idle sound? Nope. All the same. The only thing I feel about the work after the recall is peace of mind and thats about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This past week my wife's R3 and mine were done on Monday and picked them up on Tuesday, I noticed no difference my wife says hers shifts smoother. My son had his R3 done on Thursday and he said he thinks his shifts smoother. I have driven all three before and thought they all shifted smooth. I think its just in their head because I told them some people on this forum are saying they think they shift smoother. One guy even said he thought his R3 had more power and I hope he was only joking. The only difference between the old pressure plate and the new one his the size of the ball bearings, the new plate has larger ball bearings but the outside diameter of the bearing is still the same.

I am disappointed that Yamaha is using plastic gears on the oil pump, Kawasaki did that some years back and ended up switching to aluminium gears.

I am old now so I don't beat on my bike anymore so it should be fine, but I will watch to see if they change the oil pump gears in the upcoming models in 2017 or 2018.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I dropped my R3 for recall repairs today. They said a couple of hours. Hopefully that doesn't translate to a couple of days

·
Registered
15 Posts
I dropped my R3 for recall repairs today. They said a couple of hours. Hopefully that doesn't translate to a couple of days
My dealer told me Yamaha pays them 1 hour and 20 minutes of labor for the recall. The dealership where my son got his R3 told us Yamaha told them to lay the bike on its left side so they don't have to drop the oil, they thought that was just crazy so they changed his oil at no charge. My dealer charged me for the oil because I told him I did not want the old oil put back in the bike even though it only had 300 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
My dealer told me Yamaha pays them 1 hour and 20 minutes of labor for the recall. The dealership where my son got his R3 told us Yamaha told them to lay the bike on its left side so they don't have to drop the oil, they thought that was just crazy so they changed his oil at no charge. My dealer charged me for the oil because I told him I did not want the old oil put back in the bike even though it only had 300 miles on it.
I just noticed they also gave me a free oil change with the recall work 2 days ago. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got my baby back with $0 out of my pocket. I do not feel any changes as far as performance with the repairs made. Still feel her the same.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I noticed on mine that the Tech adjusted the Wastegate and now the boost is set at 14 lbs. Should dyno out at around 160hp now, but gas mileage will suffer.

Reactions: xorbe and 2020R3

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had my recall done at 2000 miles. At the 1k mark, i did an oil change to Motul 300v full synthetic. Durring the recall they changed it back to yamalube... There goes $60. And what's the effect of going from full synthetic lubes to conventional? Lost all the good oil. They said they could not put the lubricants back in due to possible contaminant issues. I call BS on that. I bet They didn't even change the oil filter... Bah.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Question since the recall needs to replace some parts is it better to use mineral oil than syn, just like having to break in again?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 66 Posts