Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, like the title say is this doable? Wanna change the old filter with a new one since I was't able to have it change the last time I had an oil change.

How much oil will be loss if I only change the filter? Will it be messy if so do you think placing the bike in a inclined plane or raising the front will help prevent the oil inside from flowing out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Personally I would leave it till your next oil change. But to each his own. Oil already soaked/trapped in the filter plus what pours out from the bike is likely close to 1/4 to 1/3rd of the total quantity of oil your bike needs.

You will have a little that comes out from the bike but nothing crazy maybe 200ml at the most (depends how long its sat without the engine running), but you will have a half liter or more in the filter itself. It will make a mess but if your prepped with a oil catch pan and some brakeclean its nothing serious. Its really a matter of keeping the filter upright once you have it spun off.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, doable. But change both. Don't be that owner.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, will probably just hold on on the filter till my next oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,329 Posts
Just change the filter. It's not like all the oil is going to drain from there right? Prefill the filter 75%, then top off your oil as normal?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Use a clean oil pan, catch what falls out (probably a decent amount) and put it all back in if you are really insistent. Even with this it may still need a top off. Otherwise just leave the filter until the next change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts