Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am always loving the R6 looks, especially how big the tires are. I know the bike is bigger and it needs a bigger size tires.

So the stock tires for the R3, R25 is front: 110/70/17 and rear: 140/70/17.

I am thinking of changing the rear to prefably 160/60/17 (if not, 150/65/17)
and the front to 120/65/17.

I am not using the bike for track, it is just purely for street riding and cruising around with friends and the MAIN reason to change is for aesthetic looks. I do not need a super good tire brand, just a decent grippy tires is good enough for me.

If is safe to change to 160/60/17 at the rear and 120/65/17 at the front? will the tire hit any of the bike parts? I have attached 2 photos of a R25 from Indonesia using bigger tire sizes and they look really good.

Thanks all!

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Having a big tire on a small engine is so troll lol. Just get a bigger bike man, I was thinking about getting bigger tire size in the 150 rear range, but all your going to do is ruin the handling and safety of the bike. Whats more important, having a slightly bigger rear tire for looks or better performance/handling/safety?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Having a big tire on a small engine is so troll lol. Just get a bigger bike man, I was thinking about getting bigger tire size in the 150 rear range, but all your going to do is ruin the handling and safety of the bike. Whats more important, having a slightly bigger rear tire for looks or better performance/handling/safety?
Bigger tire gives more stability and safety, no matter how many cc bike have. There is no connection between engine size and tire width. Everything is about price, they just put smaller tires on low cc bikes to make them more affordable. The only advantages of small tires are faster acceleration and less fuel consumption, but only by very small margin. The difference in stability and grip between 140 and 160 rear is significant.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Bigger tire gives more stability and safety, no matter how many cc bike have. There is no connection between engine size and tire width. Everything is about price, they just put smaller tires on low cc bikes to make them more affordable. The only advantages of small tires are faster acceleration and less fuel consumption, but only by very small margin. The difference in stability and grip between 140 and 160 rear is significant.

That is very generalized and not necessarily correct

·
Registered
506 Posts
A general rule of thumb is that you can usually bump up a tire one size, for ie 110 to 120 and no one will die. However, bumping up a tire two or three sizes will have negative effects especially on a motor like the R3. There is a reason the engineers design the suspension - moto - tranny - wheels/tires as one unit. If you go extreme with one component or the other, then the power/handling balance is lost. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
424 Posts

Jesse has said they tried the larger rear because the lean angles were taking them past the edge of the tire and that’s why his contact patch was so small. He’s also mentioned a swap to a slick tire with significant pressure differences. His post wasn’t saying everyone should use a bigger tire because it’s safer.
I didn’t say a larger size is always wrong but it definitely it doesn’t guarantee more safety and stability

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
Ninja 300 has a 140 tire size, and people always ask about 150, and it erupts into a flamewar. Then Kawasaki went and sold the 2017 Winter Edition with a 150 stock. (Just a funny story to me, hah.)

OP hasn't logged in for a couple months, but I doubt it makes any difference for his street riding.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ninja 300 has a 140 tire size, and people always ask about 150, and it erupts into a flamewar. Then Kawasaki went and sold the 2017 Winter Edition with a 150 stock. (Just a funny story to me, hah.)

OP hasn't logged in for a couple months, but I doubt it makes any difference for his street riding.
I dunno but that could have been a marketing thing since tire size seems to motivate a sale to a new rider. Either way, one bump up in size, no big deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts