Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried using those cheap headsets from eBay? They're around $90 for the pair, a fraction of the cost of Sena. I wish I could just get the Sena, but I can't ignore the price difference.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've wasted more money than I intended on saving buying "cheap" ebay things for my motorcycle. I'm 5 for 5 on wasted ebay purchases. Honestly I'd be weary. Especially something electronic, and 90 dollars.

Reactions: HardRacing

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've learned on eBay that sometimes you get what you pay for, but sometimes you can actually get a smokin' deal. Somebody needs to test the waters and report back.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Theoretically, it should work like any made for motorcycle intercom/bluetooth systems.

Basically the main purpose being a "walkie talkie"/intercom between units (so you need at least 2 of them). Usually with a range of 900-1000 meters/yards or so (but honestly you won't get that much range unless you are in a flat, wide open salt plains or such).

They also connect to your phone via bluetooth so you can answer phone calls or play music like any other bluetooth headset.

Standard/lesser units can only do one thing at a time. But more expensive ones can do multiple (listen to music and use the intercom).

I like my Sena but eh... some things are spotty. Like range. Even just 200 feet/60 meters, thing starts to get static-y. No way in **** will this thing work at 900 meters in urban/city scapes. I have troubles talking to my wife 50 meters if line of sight is broken between buildings. Plus I seem to get a lot of interference to the point where I had to lower the volume a lot.

by the way, looked at the link. 90 bucks for 2. I see why its so tempting now. I think I bought my Sena slim pair for 260 when it was revzilla's black friday sales.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wonder if theres any way to find some feedback or reviews on them ?
I have a sena smh5 does what its supposed to do

·
Registered
258 Posts
Got a Sena G6x(if I'm correct). Okay you've got to pay for the brand. The quality is so nice. Functions make the difference in price.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought the Sena smh10 for a decent price on revzilla. I heard that the speakers were not that great on the smh10. I pieced mine together and use earbuds instead.

I bought the unit itself
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smh10-replacement-main-unit

Then I bought the helmet clamp with earbuds.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-smh-10-helmet-clamp-kit-earbuds-with-boom-and-wired-microphone

It has been great. No complaints so far. I would save up to get a decent pair instead of taking a risk and buying a cheap one for a couple dollars less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts