Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question when coasting to a stop say in 4th or 3rd gear. Clutch in and brake to a stop.
Then when I start clicking down the gear indicator goes blank and no matter how many times I click with the clutch in, the bike won't go into 1st gear.

If I slightly release the clutch, the indicator number reappears and then I can click down into first.

Is it normal behavior for the gear indicator to go blank while clicking down after stopping? Also is it normal to NOT be able to click down into first gear after stopping?
If I click down while still coasting I can click into 1st and the gear indicator remains on.
Clicking down after stopping makes the gear indicator go blank and it won't go into first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is normal. almost all bikes will do it. if the transmission is not turning at all the gears shifter may not move as the dogs on the shift rings are not lined up

·
Registered
64 Posts
Try to get used to gearing all the way down to 1st with each stop. One day you might need to take off very quickly to avoid someone crashing in to you and you don't want to be in 4th gear when/if that happens!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Never coast on a motorcycle,
its a bad habit you must avoid if its happening already,
be in the right gear for the speed at all times.

Motorcycles have a sequential gearbox,
like a bicycle, they need to go thru each gear to change to the next one.

In time it will become second nature to half drag the clutch at every shift on the way down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. So when you guys say to gear down...does that mean downshifting into each gear before stopping?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thanks for the responses. So when you guys say to gear down...does that mean downshifting into each gear before stopping?

Can be as simple as a light drag of the clutch on each change of each gear ie an emergency stop, or when fast downshifting.

You will get smoother. relax your hands as much as possible. 'eggshell palms'

It teaches you to be aware of rev matching and finding what gears/speeds,
use Low revs around 3-4000 while going down gears.
The clutch is never fully pulled in.
Next step is to master blipping between downshifts, its smoother.
your instructor should teach you.

Don't bother with first until stopped,
(2nd to first is brutal on any bike, neutral is between them)
If traffic is still moving, you wont need first.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, stop in 2nd then a half click down to neutral.

Reactions: 19Matte

·
Registered
113 Posts
The Owner's manual that (presumably) came with your R3 recommends decelerating and downshifting until 3rd gear. Then when you're coming to a stop, drop into neutral.

The same gear problem happened to me when I would drop in and out of 1st gear when at a red light (I would think it's going to turn green. Then it doesn't, so i shift back into neutral)

**edit for typos

·
Registered
856 Posts
The Owner's manual that (presumably) came with your R3 recommends decelerating and downshifting until 3rd gear. Then when you're coming to a stop, drop into neutral.

The same gear problem happened to me when I would drop in and out of 1st gear when at a red light (I would think it's going to turn green. Then it doesn't, so i shift back into neutral)

**edit for typos
Always be in the right gear,
that means IN gear sitting at the lights.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I always stop in 1st and then shift to neutral if I know it's a long(ish) stop light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
I always stop in 1st and then shift to neutral if I know it's a long(ish) stop light.
Same here... only once everyone around me has stopped and I know it's going to be a while
I also make sure I'm back in 1st before the light turns green again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Next time that happens try rocking the bike back and forth while down shifting and it should work. It's happened to me as well, must be a newb thang lol

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've found giving the clutch lever a few squeezes tends to work better than bike rocking. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want to rock my bike back and forth if I ever faced this scenario on an incline. I also don't have to play with the clutch lever multiple times to rectify this problem; one release into the friction zone (not too much so you don't stall the bike) is enough for the bike to get itself sorted out again, and at that point, either I clutch-in again because I need to keep shifting down to 1 (this can happen when I'm coming to a stop from 3rd gear and am too lazy to shift into 2nd) or my bike has now shifted itself into 1 and I go along my way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys

I'm here after having the same issue as the guy who started this post...however I'm not sure the concern should be dismissed as easily as most suggest by simply saying that "you should always cycle down gears".

I have been riding for 5 years (weekend warrior). I ride a Harley. I'm comfortable on a bike.

I picked up my girfriends' 2019 R3 on the weekend and rode it home.

Now the gear ratio is incredibly tight so at one set of lights I was in 4th gear doing 50 and almost straight away the car infront broke heavily to stop for another set of lights. I dropped to third but didn't have time to cycle down further before stopping. I just threw both breaks on and stopped quite suddenly. The two bikes I've owned - Yamaha V-star and Harley...both allow you to cycle gears while stationary. The R3 indicator went blank and when the lights changed I released the break..the bike moved..so the indicator came back....I was in third...I stalled the bike. This isn't safe or normal surely? An inexperienced rider would find this stressful. What if I was on a hill? Is it just me and the poster of this topic who have issue with this?

Thanks guys.

Ross

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi guys

I'm here after having the same issue as the guy who started this post...however I'm not sure the concern should be dismissed as easily as most suggest by simply saying that "you should always cycle down gears".

I have been riding for 5 years (weekend warrior). I ride a Harley. I'm comfortable on a bike.

I picked up my girfriends' 2019 R3 on the weekend and rode it home.

Now the gear ratio is incredibly tight so at one set of lights I was in 4th gear doing 50 and almost straight away the car infront broke heavily to stop for another set of lights. I dropped to third but didn't have time to cycle down further before stopping. I just threw both breaks on and stopped quite suddenly. The two bikes I've owned - Yamaha V-star and Harley...both allow you to cycle gears while stationary. The R3 indicator went blank and when the lights changed I released the break..the bike moved..so the indicator came back....I was in third...I stalled the bike. This isn't safe or normal surely? An inexperienced rider would find this stressful. What if I was on a hill? Is it just me and the poster of this topic who have issue with this?

Thanks guys.

Ross
Most bikes do this. If the bikes stall out, you're normally supposed to go to neutral, start the bike back up, engage gear one then move off. If you're having difficulty shifting into gear while stationary, you may want to roll the bike forward a little as the gear dogs may not be fully engaged. If you are constantly having problems shifting, then you will want to check on your clutch cable tension. If it's too loose, you will find it difficult or impossible to shift gears.

·
Super Moderator
1,308 Posts
both allow you to cycle gears while stationary
Here's the trick when you get stuck shifting while stopped: let the clutch out slightly. My fancy Triumph 765 is bad about this if I hold the clutch in way too long (extended coasting), even while moving!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts