Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Clutch Bearing Failure Video

26K views 91 replies 35 participants last post by  Bandit 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Someone had posted on here that this is a known problem with the R25 or R125. Can't remember which. They also listed a SKF replacement bearing part#. I will try to dig it up. It was on one of the trouble with shifting threads.

I did pick up two new SKF replacement bearings for the pressure plate. $43 a piece.

#8 ·
Well, if NOBODY else on this forum has had trouble with this bearing, then maybe it is an isolated case.
Hopefully, that is all it is.

If anyone finds that SKF bearing number, that would be appreciated.

#12 ·
Not good to have happen, but it looks like it would be covered under warranty. Why is the guy taking it apart? It does look like lack of lubrication so maybe he was very low on oil?

#17 ·
Check the clutch bearing.
Known issue for R25.
Changed mine from KOYO(stock) to SKF bearing (code : 61901-2z).

This case happened for R25 in Malaysia and Indonesia. Even R3 Thailand also got the same case.
As for now, if it was happened in the warranty period Yamaha will replace it for free.
But it would take a lot of hassle if the bearing was broken due to the bike wouldn't engage to any gear!

So most of us replaced with SKF bearing (code : 61901-2z).
Only a bottle of coolant need to be replaced with(since coolant hose will be disconnected during the maintenance).
And not a single drop of engine oil involved ;P

#26 ·
Just preventative because I use mine for racing. It will be subjected to constant high RPMs. I don't know how much I would worry about it on a street bike.

I have seen prices all over the place for this bearing.
Some as high as $56! ( Crazy )

This looks like a good deal here:

http://www.qualitybearingsonline.com/61901-2z-skf-deep-groove-bearings-12x24x6/
I got mine for Motion Industries for $43. I would check to see if you have one near you.

Are we supposed to change just the bearing or the pressure plate plus rod too? And i cant figure out if we gotta drain the oil too..
I know I read somewhere you just need to drain coolant but no oil.

#25 ·
Percentages...

EVERY mechanical device built will have faults. The major ones (such as this) will occur in a certain percentage. Even Rolls Royce has had failures. Engineers look at things like MTBF (mean time between failures) all the time. That's WHY you have regular maintenance, to address normal items that need replacing or cleaning BEFORE their ****-up time occurs.

Not only that but, like any product forum, any failures are broadcast and dissected so that it seems like every bike is broken. Let's say it's 10 bikes...heck...let's say 100 bikes have had this failure. How many has Yamaha sold worldwide in the last 2 years? Let's go low and say 10,000 (I honestly don't know) that's 1% failure rate. Pretty sure being involved in a wreck during a long distance ride is numerically more. Airlines, who strive for a ZERO failure rate, have planes that are grounded due to mechanical problems.

You have to put things in perspective. You don't know how hard he is on the bike. You don't know how hard he is on the clutch. When he says he 'takes it apart all the time' did he mean fairings? WHY is he fixing it? No warranty? Lot's of questions.

Jay

;)

#30 ·
this looks like *engineering* fail. You NEVER put a ball bearing except in a radial application unless you pick a special one that can handle axial load (cage at 45deg incline). Now maybe they thought the axial component was within the bearing's design parameters but it sure seems not. Should have had a thrust bearing in there from the start.

#31 ·
this looks like *engineering* fail. You NEVER put a ball bearing except in a radial application unless you pick a special one...
It looks to me like this bearing has to do double-duty.
It has a radial high-speed load, and also a thrust load when you pull the clutch lever.

From the few photos I have seen... it looks like an 8-ball bearing.
Perhaps the engineers thought this little bearing would be fine where it lives.

Perhaps... they are the same engineers who assumed the gears in the 2015 Yamaha R1 would be fine with all the center material machined out of them.

:|

I'm really starting to wonder about YAMAHA "reliability".

#32 ·
I don't think there is any radial locating force on that bearing. When the clutch cable is slack, nothing is touching the center race. Whatever aftermarket bearing that is being talked about has to be designed to stand up lateral thrust as stated earlier. A regular radial precision bearing that just happens to have the same dimesions might fail again the same way.

#34 ·
I don't think there is any radial locating force on that bearing. When the clutch cable is slack, nothing is touching the center race.
You are wrong, sir.

There is a shaft that runs through the center of that bearing.
When you pull the clutch lever, the cable turns a shaft, that connects to another shaft. That second shaft goes through the center of the bearing. It has a lip on the inside.

That's what it looks like from the parts schematics I viewed.
I have not removed the clutch side cover from my R3, so I don't know for sure.

We need to start tracking "bearing failure mileage".
Anyone who has had this bearing fail on their bike, needs to post the mileage it failed at.

YAMAHA needs to issue a recall for this problem.
It is not an isolated case. Lots of reports coming-in from all over the place now.

Same issue on the R25 bikes. This is a known problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.