Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

Ive noticed a minor problem with my clutch. When letting the clutch out from a start, I'm in the friction slowly easing it out and the thing just sort of 'dumps'. It's like the bike is letting the clutch out for me. It's easy to ride around, but I've not noticed this on other bikes I've had.

I was hoping the clutch recall would solve the problem, but alas it's just the same.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any remedies? I'll switch to synthetic oil at 2K miles, might this help?

Thanks!

CJ

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had similar issues with my R3. I resolved the problem by installing a set of NortonFab Motorsports 3/4 Length Adjustable Folding Race Levers.

Check out their website, yamahar3racing.com , they are a vendor on this site.

·
Super Moderator
1,316 Posts
I've had this happen once. It's like the clutch just grabs hardcore suddenly, like TLO kicks in. Can you update your general location in your profile?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Guys!

Ive noticed a minor problem with my clutch. When letting the clutch out from a start, I'm in the friction slowly easing it out and the thing just sort of 'dumps'. It's like the bike is letting the clutch out for me. It's easy to ride around, but I've not noticed this on other bikes I've had.

I was hoping the clutch recall would solve the problem, but alas it's just the same.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any remedies? I'll switch to synthetic oil at 2K miles, might this help?

Thanks!

CJ
I was hoping when I do the recall it would fix this too. I run synthetic and it still does it. It's almost like the friction zone is a bubble that pops rather than being linear at all. I've owned multiple bikes and find this super annoying. I've never stalled but this is the first bike I've owned where I feel when leaving from stops the clutch uses a little bit of my attention instead of not being a thought. My vin corresponds to 02/16 production date

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mine does this normally on hot days. Like today it was 89℉ and humid as heck and it did it twice crossing a highway... yay. The other time it wasn't important. Stalling hasn't been really my nature... I have Norton's fab lab levels buy they're set at 1. I will say they improve the whole experience soooooo much. The other time it happened was 105℉ ish I got down into the "city" and it just hated first gear. I missed it twice before I caught it. I'm running conventional 20/50... my entire trans hates it. False neutral stuck between gears... all since the first oil change. I think the r3 takes more thought because the horsepower isn't there, in a larger bike you feel it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, at least I know I'm not alone! This issue isn't related to levers, it's the clutch.

For you racers - what is it like to do a race start with the stock clutch?

CJ

Xorbe - I'll update my profile.

·
Super Moderator
1,316 Posts
Okay so on the technical side. When we pull the clutch, it's pulling that rod through the center of that "clutch bearing" (the topic of discussion of failure)? Any chance the rod is slightly binding on that surface, or the mechanism around that area? Or does that whole part move with it -- I wish I knew the details.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I haven't had this issue since I switched out to the adjustable levers (same Norton Fabrications ones from Yamahar3racing.com). They are great and make it SO much easier to modulate the clutch.
So I have a really really really dumb question... what the **** does the clutch adjustment do on the lever? I know it shortens the break engagement for the breaks... I'm just dumb. Also does anyone know if he sell just the folding leveler? I did a stupid thing... couldn't move the bike off a little hump in my drive way on it... so I got off and moved it like I have so many other bikes this one included... sadly I didn't pull from pipe side ?so she came over the hump and grabbed a rock down she went.

·
Registered
389 Posts
So I have a really really really dumb question... what the **** does the clutch adjustment do on the lever? I know it shortens the break engagement for the breaks... I'm just dumb. Also does anyone know if he sell just the folding leveler? I did a stupid thing... couldn't move the bike off a little hump in my drive way on it... so I got off and moved it like I have so many other bikes this one included... sadly I didn't pull from pipe side ?so she came over the hump and grabbed a rock down she went.

Was this at the same time you dented your exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
It's the same on the clutch side - it just shortens the throw needed to work the clutch, same as the brake lever. Doesn't actually change the engagement point, just moves the lever closer to the handle.

As for whether or not just the folding part would be sold, I really don't know but you can ask Jesse (jbluetooth here on the forum)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had similar issues with my R3. I resolved the problem by installing a set of NortonFab Motorsports 3/4 Length Adjustable Folding Race Levers.

Check out their website, yamahar3racing.com , they are a vendor on this site.
Mine was solved by swapping to fully adjustable levers as well. I adjust mine all the way out so the least amount of lever pull allows the clutch to shift. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I recently noticed the clutch doing this too. I have stock levers. I noticed that it seems to be a chunky grab even when letting out slow. I don't like burning the clutch going into 1st gear, so I try to use the least amount of throttle (on the street), but I feel I have to rev 6k to get a smooth rolling engagement. And, my clutch engages at the end of the lever. I have little free play on the cable tensioner to not have a constant clutch grab. It's a little unnerving.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Try a different ratio clutch lever. To make the engagement smoother requires more lever movement. This will engage the clutch plates slower. I recently installed a Suter slipper clutch on my R3 and the snathcy clutch issue is solved now

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Noticed this issue as soon as I started riding my R3 (bought at 5,000km). It's bloody annoying, especially as I bought this as my commuter. It's definitely a clutch problem and not an adjustment problem. My guesses would be to resolve it you could either try new clutch friction plates (a different brand, not what's already in there) or try lighter clutch springs. It definitely bites way too hard just as you're about to fully release it. My 1989 Honda Spada does this, and I thought buying an R3 would give me a better clutch... not so.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Noticed this issue as soon as I started riding my R3 (bought at 5,000km). It's bloody annoying, especially as I bought this as my commuter. It's definitely a clutch problem and not an adjustment problem. My guesses would be to resolve it you could either try new clutch friction plates (a different brand, not what's already in there) or try lighter clutch springs. It definitely bites way too hard just as you're about to fully release it. My 1989 Honda Spada does this, and I thought buying an R3 would give me a better clutch... not so.
What is really annoying is that you have a Spada and I don't! :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts