Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for thoughts on the clutch feel on the R3.

I've put nearly 4000 miles on my R3 and at times I feel the clutch or clutch lever feels heavy and would make my hand tired. I'm not too sure if it's my riding style that's needs fixing, the clutch itself or may be it's just my hand that's the problem.

Any insight would be great.

Happy Riding! Thx!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm a new rider and noticed the clutch has been making my hand tired. I assumed it was because i just need to man up and get used to working the clutch. Curious to see what other more experienced riders think.

·
Registered
140 Posts
An adjustable lever helps a lot. I have a cheap set of Ebay ones, and I have mine set at the minimum length of clutch pull necessary. So when its pulled in all the way its completely disengaged, but once i let off a little bit it starts to gain friction. That way im not reaching as far to pull in the clutch.

If youre finding it heavy to pull, try gripping further outwards on your clutch handle to gain more leverage at the expense of pull distance.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The R3 has the lightest clutch-pull of any bike I have ridden. The pull is light, but the engagement is spongy sometimes. When I let it out, it feels like it slips a little before it grabs. Especially if I am hard on the throttle. I could stand to put some stronger springs in my clutch, for a more positive engagement feel. But it's okay like it is. I'm getting used to it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just installed CRG adjustable levers and now my clutch hand is thanking me for it. It's easier to pull and release and makes the friction zone that much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have also out cheap shorty levers on mine. Had a good ride out yesterday and no hand or wrist pain. I only paid £15 for them and they are a perfect fit and easy to install.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The stock clutch feels really light compared to a supersport. My 650 had pretty light pull as well. I put on cheap ebay levers and the pull got worse. I do like having my levers really far from the bars though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i have a shorter hand with and wondering if any one can suggest any adjustable levers?
Also forgot to mention that the levers I have are also "Shorty" style adjustable ones. I have medium size hands and that fits the CRG's just right. Go either to RevZilla, Hard Racing and they'll have various levers to fit the R3. I bought mine from SportbikeTrackGear because I love their service but any U.S. online store will be just as good.

SideNote: I originally purchased some no-name levers from eBay made in China and the fit (spacer/nut) was iffy for the brake lever (clutch was fine) but I wasn't taking any chances with something that critical. I asked a Yamaha mechanic about that and told me that it's possible that the brake lever could potentially lock up the front brake.

Hope this helps.

Attached is what my new brake lever looks like with adjustable clicker

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
The clutch pull is very light to me. And the gearbox is so smooth that it almost feels like nothing. I'm shifting often during break in and my left hand never gets sore. If anything the throttle is too long. I would love to have a quick turn throttle.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The clutch pull is very light to me. And the gearbox is so smooth that it almost feels like nothing. I'm shifting often during break in and my left hand never gets sore. If anything the throttle is too long. I would love to have a quick turn throttle.
R6 throttle tube. There is a thread on it. One guy claimed it didnt do anything, but I feel the tubes that were given to him were incorrect. Make sure you read that thread, its got the correct part numbers. Most of us ordered online. Another prob I see with that person who said it didnt do anything is that he said he bought from a dealer and the bags that the tubes came in looked to be opened or tampered, so they may not have even given him the correct parts.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Like most Yamaha's I have ridden, the clutch engages way out at the end of the lever travel. Not much slip-zone. It's either, ON or OFF. So I put extra free-play in the lever, and it seems to be better for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts