Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this thread will be for individuals who have an oh **** moment while installing levers. Tonight I went to install my levers from Jesse (Thanks Jesse!!) and noticed it wasn't lining up right. I gave Jesse a call just to confirm it wasn't supposed to behave like that (and I'm a motorcycle noob since this is my 1st). He confirmed it shouldn't line up the way it was with the sensor (the machined "block" that contacts the sensor was pushed too far backwards).

What would happen is when I pulled the lever back almost all the way or all the way to the handlebar/grip and release the lever slowly the metal arm/block that is supposed to push on the face of the plastic sensor arm wouldn't engage the face of the plastic sensor. It would engage the back side of the sensor (pointing towards the rear wheel) then when letting the lever go would push the arm forward (towards the front wheel) instead of inward (toward the sensor and gastank). This was putting the force perpendicular to the plastic sensor arm instead of pushing the arm inwards, if I wasn't paying attention the plastic sensor arm would've snapped off.

So what is the cause? My clutch lever was replaced by a dealer before I bought my bike with 67 miles. Either when the bike had whatever problem to break the lever (they claim it wasn't dropped, no fairing damage or anything, my guess it was dropped at a stop breaking the lever) or when they replaced the lever they damaged the sensor in the process. The housing of the sensor itself was separating and almost coming into two pieces without even trying. Due to the damage on the housing it was causing the housing to flex and incorrectly line up with my lever instead of where it should be causing the lever to incorrectly contact the sensor arm.

Luckily my sensor works fine and has 0 issues, so I decided to find a workaround, I noticed it was too closely installed next to the clip-on where it clamps to the fork tube. I needed to rotate the sensor back just slightly to get it to work but had 0 room with the plug on the sensor contacting the clip-on. The sensor connector has two "wings" on the sides (parallel to ground) and one locking tab on the bottom side (closest to the ground). Grabbed my dremel and ground off some material on the wing where the tab was meeting/interfering with the clip on reducing the interference. The "wings" are only stoppers for the plug, they in no way retain the plug in the sensor unit so this had 0 consequence.

Still waiting on a new sensor to see if this will fix the clearance issues altogether (I suspect it will) but wanted to post up the experience in case anyone else ran into this! Me and Jesse both assumed this sensor was non-adjustable but it can actually be rotated and removed via a small screw in a recessed hole through the sensor body (very hard to see).

Picture 1 displays the tiny recessed screw (it's toward the tank). Picture 2 displays the connector, I had to grind off the "wing" pointing up in that picture, the locking tab is on the side you can't see which is the side that faces the ground, the side you see facing in this picture facing up toward the handlebar. Picture 3 attempts to describe what the lever looks like in closed position and how it's mis-aligned, couldn't get a picture holding the lever open to show how it was contacting the switch perpendicularly.

Big shout out to Jesse for entertaining my noob questions over the phone and helping me through something that had nothing to do with the product. FYI I love the levers these things are awesome!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like yours was damaged before you got into it but I learned a valuable lesson with that switch when installing Jesse's levers as well.
http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/457-r3-parts-accessories/98385-neutral-safety-switch.html

Great levers though... I love mine.
Yes mine was damaged either in a previous incident or when the dealer I bought the bike from replaced the lever... But figured if it did come from the incident that broke the clutch lever, we know that happens a lot when these bikes are dropped. This may be a VERY good starting point for some people who buy used or have previously laid the bike down and I wouldn't think it would be uncommon to see. The part is pretty fragile.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also one other interesting item to note, my buddy is a parts guy at the local dealership... They only had 3 of these in stock in the ENTIRE US (well it was 4 and I bought one). 3 in a warehouse and 1 in a dealership somewhere. If you need one anytime soon, you might want to get it ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
1,304 Posts
Is the switch adjustable? With my shorty levers, I'm not getting enough of the switch arm to extend out, so I can't start the bike in 1st gear with the clutch lever pulled in. [Other than the obvious 15 minute dremel solution to shorten the arm.]

FML, figured this out. I didn't transfer the inner bushing from the stock clutch lever to the shorty!!! Works now.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah this switch is a pain, on a new note I installed my new sensor last night since my old one was badly busted. The new one also had clearance issues, however it tightens down without issue but it still contacts the clip on on that right side. Still has more clearance than it did (maybe a hair) and now performs properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts