Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Coffman shorty slip-on exhausts are listed on eBay today. $249 shipped. Here is their website for more info: http://coffmansexhaust.com/

NOTE: these aren't showing up yet on their website, but when they do the price should $199.00 USD, since all of their single slip-ons, except certain polished ones, sell for that price.

Three colors: all black, silver tip and gold tip. NOTE: tips are interchangeable and are available in red and blue also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coffman-Sho...3-20015-/321803632518?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Forum member Tarrance has a sound test video of it on his red R3 up on YouTube

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Spoke

Automotive exhaust Auto part Exhaust system Muffler Metal

·
Registered
66 Posts
not permitted in CA for emissions restrictions unless you send them a signed and dated letter stated you will only use it for the track

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
not permitted in CA for emissions restrictions unless you send them a signed and dated letter stated you will only use it for the track
But if you read the site's CA emissions notice in full, these systems ARE actually acceptable because they don't change the emissions from the bike, since they are Cat-back slip-ons only and would be considered replacement parts that are legal in CA.

A Coffman's full sytem exhaust definitely wouldn't be legal in CA, though.

Anyone in CA that is interested in this exhaust should contact Coffman to verify legality. I have emailed them and asked them to verify legality.

From the site:

California regulates motorcycle aftermarket parts that have the potential to impact emissions. In most cases, the sale and use of emissions related aftermarket parts on motorcycles is prohibited unless it is either a “replacement part” as defined by California, or is a specifically authorized use of that part as reflected in an Executive Order (“EO Part”)

The California Air Resources Board (ARB) regulates aftermarket parts and has promulgated regulations that essentially place all emissions related aftermarket parts into three categories:

(First) Replacement Parts

Replacement Parts are aftermarket parts that ARB considers to be functionally equivalent to the stock part they are intended to replace, and therefore would not impact the emissions from these vehicles. These parts are appropriate for sale and use on motorcycles used on or off the public highways. For aftermarket exhaust systems and parts, there are two applicable scenarios:

(a)If the motorcycle’s stock exhaust system does not contain a catalytic converter, then an aftermarket exhaust part is a replacement part as long as the part does not remove or replace any emission control equipment originally attached to the stock exhaust system, such as the oxygen sensors.

(b)If the motorcycle’s stock exhaust system contains a catalytic converter in the manifold section of the stock exhaust system, then an aftermarket muffler positioned downstream from the catalytic converter (i.e. cat-back) is a replacement part as long as the part does not remove or replace any emission control equipment originally attached to the stock exhaust system.

(Second) Executive Order Parts

Executive Order Parts are aftermarket parts that ARB has evaluated and determined do not adversely impact emissions, and thereby are granted an Executive Order (EO), which allows the part to be sold and used on specified motorcycles. Any aftermarket exhaust system that replaces or otherwise impacts emission control equipment, including catalytic converters, requires an EO to be sold and used on a motorcycle used on or off a public highway.

(Third) Competition Use Only Parts

Competition Use only Parts may not be sold or used on a motorcycle that is used on or off the public highways other than those motorcycles used exclusively for competition. Competition Use Only Parts are aftermarket parts that replace or otherwise interfere with the operation of an emission control device, such as a catalytic converter or oxygen sensor, and may be sold and used on a motorcycle that is used only for closed course competition.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Awesome!

Thanks for the info! I only read the disclaimer in the ebay website. Was hoping someone like you would dig a little deeper lol :p

The more you know..

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome!

Thanks for the info! I only read the disclaimer in the ebay website. Was hoping someone like you would dig a little deeper lol :p

The more you know..
...the more you seem like a know-it-all at times!

I try not to do that.

I haven't lived in CA in 21 years (sadly) so I don't know if they're currently writing tickets for too loud exhausts, but I don't think that would be an issue on the R3 since most of the muffling takes place down in the collector box where the cat is.

As long as you install a slip-on, vs. a full system, it should be cool.

I kind of doubt CA has the $$ budget or manpower to stop for "too loud". I know Colorado doesn't. Straight pipes on Harleys are the norm here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
CA M1 licensing is done by CHP now, and mostly motocops. They straight up told us in class that they will not pull riders over for loud pipes, because Harley's are louder and it is better to be heard here in Cali. A lot of cagers are so distracted that we need all the help we can get to be seen AND heard.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you buy from their website, once they have them listed there, the price will be $199.00 with free 2-Day shipping in the U.S.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Interesting...never heard of Coffman before. Are they any good? Anyone have dyno charts from them? Not looking for a power increase but more so to make sure it doesn't lose any anywhere.

I like exhaust tips for the sound and look and at that price it can't be beat!

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
More info on Coffman exhausts.

They're mostly known for their line of car exhausts but have recently started making sport bike slip-ons. Kind of retro looking. They remind of 60s/70s glass packs.

From their website:

"All pipes are manufactured from 304 stainless steel tubing that is CNC machined, mandrel bent then tig welded to perfection. They are then powder-coated in a high temp black satin finish. It is designed to fit stock applications to wide tired to stretched swing arm applications. That’s only the beginning. They then have a machined angled cut billet aluminum tip anodized with an array of colors ranging from black, gold or blue. Polished aluminum is also available on the tip. This tip can be rotated to suit your needs. The pipe also includes an easy snap ring (installed) with an additional black anodized sound suppressor and silencer that is re-packable".

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm guessing they're milking what they can from the first ones of a new model.
They'll probably even out the price later, at least I hope they will :)

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In their eBay store they show 3 sold so far. Hopefully at least one of those buyers is a forum member who will give a report on the exhaust.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought this slip-on and I think it's the best looking slip-on. My first choice was the akrapovic gp slip-on, but it is never available. Also I think this is the cheapest slip on out on the market for the R3. It's a good thing it came with the heat shield/cover, because without it, you can see that hideous cat.

I was skeptical about getting a slip-on because the lack of good audio from all the videos of slip-ons, they sounded like the stock muffler. I got it anyways because it looked nice, but when I installed it, it sounds way better than stock. I should've aligned it before I riveted it on, it's angled a bit off. The cat does a pretty good job of muffling the noise, if you want loud, you gotta go full exhaust.

Clip of it from my IG:
https://instagram.com/p/5bkIVSrO4q/

Heres some pics:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts