Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in New England, we've entered the Fall season and although there are some beautiful rides this time of year, there are some additional risks that come along with it. Wet leaves are stupid slippery and although we're not quite at the leaf falling time of year yet, it's definitely time to start thinking "cold weather" safety.

It's been raining here for almost 3 weeks now so I haven't done much riding lately. Yesterday, they said it would be in the high 60's - low 70's in the afternoon, so I rode to work (50 mile ride).
Immediately, I remembered why I hated Fall commuting. It was only 34 degrees yesterday morning and by the time I got to work, my hands were freezing. Dressing warm is critical, but even more important (IMO) is tire pressure and remembering that they won't get warm and sticky like they do in the Summer. I felt the tires break traction more than once on my way in and had to adjust my level of "spirit" because the tires just didn't want to cooperate. They were essentially nothing more than frozen hockey pucks.

I also cruise East in the morning and West in the evening so solar glare is a huge problem as well. I'll still ride when I can but I think I may be done commuting on the bike for the next several months :(

There's a few good articles on cold weather riding... here's just one... but none I find cover ALL of the bases.
Ride safe!
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2013/11/14/seven-tips-winter-motorcycle-riding/

·
Registered
732 Posts
Where in NE? I'm in Brooklyn, NY but have spent a bunch of time in NE. Sometimes you wish you had perfect weather year round for riding l, but I'm a 4 seasons guys as I ski, love the Fall, etc. Nothing else can match the cities, food, mountains, amd rustic charm of NE to include the Atlantic coast.

People don't realize NY has the largest state park in the country-the Adironbacks is larger than the Grand Canyon, Everglades and Yellowstone state parks combined. I'll ride into November or December. Sometimes it'll be relatively mild until Dec now. When I was a kid, a first snow in November wasn't uncommon but upstate NY and downstate NY are ostensibly two different weather systems. I basically put the bike up Dec-Feb. Now I'll do some rides up into thr Hudson River valley and around Bear Mountain for hilly twisties and the Fall foliage. Less traffic too as the summer vacationers are long gone. It's 70 and sunny right now in Brooklyn. Wish I was riding right now. :-(

Never used heated gear yet but was thinking of maybe trying out some RS Taichi heated gloves and a jacket or something. Any usage of heated gear by you?

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where in NE?
Never used heated gear yet but was thinking of maybe trying out some RS Taichi heated gloves and a jacket or something. Any usage of heated gear by you?
Im in central Massachusetts.
I don't have any heated gear but my brother swears by it. Personally, I don't ride much in the super cold weather so I don't see the investment being worth it to me for the couple times a year I may use it.
Honestly, I'd have more interest if the R3 handled better in the cold weather but on these stock tires, 30-40 degree rides are a bit sketchy and something I'd prefer to avoid, having warmer gear or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts