Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Commuter/Touring Tyres

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Homyality 
#1 ·
Hey all, the stock Pilot Street Radial on my R3 is near enough on its last legs after over 16000km (which honestly has me very impressed) and now im looking at other options for a high mileage tyre with decent all weather performance that isnt total garbage for some weekend fun.

Only problem is if I want to keep the 140/70 rear options are quite limited.

At the moment im considering going to a 110/70 and 150/70 in the Michelin Pilot Road 2's.

Just wondering what everyone else uses for commuting/touring in either 140 or 150 rears.

#2 ·
Running a set of 150/110 Metzler z8s and love them. I was going to go with pilots, but the price difference and a rebate at the time swayed me. Id also run m5s before, so I knew I'd like them.

One thing I have noticed which may or may not matter to you, is a nearly 10% drop in fuel mileage after ditching the stocks. Not sure if the pr2s will be better than my z8s, but the pilot streets were crazy efficient.

Someone else on here is running the bt-45s(i think that's the one) which is a 140 dual compound and liked it. That's the only decent tire in the stock size that I'm aware of.

#4 ·
Metzeler Z8's look promising, but doing a little more digging around there are plenty of options out there including some bias-ply tyres. Im a little apprehensive to go to bias since the stock PSR's are radial.

Would also love some feedback on;

Bridgestone T30 EVO
Continental Conti-Motion

if anyone has used those before.

#8 ·
I plan to find a set of takeoffs from someone for cheap when mine finally wear out. My R3 is my commuter that I put 400 miles on a week. I don't ride it hard, so why have a tire that is only better for that? If all you do is commute, the stock tire on our bike is about the best tire you can get for that purpose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.